OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the reactor I modified for the Siporax.

SiporaxReactor1.jpg

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet reactor.

I haven’t touched mine since I added it months ago. Its in an area that I never have to mess with it. Its still whole, it isn’t falling apart under its own weight or anything.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet reactor.

I haven’t touched mine since I added it months ago. Its in an area that I never have to mess with it. Its still whole, it isn’t falling apart under its own weight or anything.
That's good. Maybe it was just something that they had problems with in the beginning - which is when I bought mine. Ha!

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoyed the read, makes me want a reef savvvvvvy. Starting with stand so better think tank soon. How did you settle on 40" sump? Would 34" be too small? Like the synergy line especiallt triton

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@drtrash Thanks for reading the whole thread. Sorry there is no interesting ending yet. :)

The sump was a standard size from Elite Aquatics. I had a 40B under my old tank (in the same stand) and had a little more room in that sump. I am hoping this one works out. Nothing wrong with Synergy. That is what I was going to get, but the free shipping from Elite at the time was nice. I love the quality of the sump as well. Plus, I wanted the colors to be blue and white and Tyler was happy to work with me on that. I had asked Synergy if they were still building custom sumps and they were not, so there was that.

Last edited:

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gary, when ever you do get water circulating in this tank, where do you plan on buying livestock?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gary, when ever you do get water circulating in this tank, where do you plan on buying livestock?
That is a good question. You are assuming I can still afford to buy livestock by then. :)

I imagine it will come from many different places, since we don't have a good source locally anymore. Really miss Fintastic Aquarium. May be some road trips involved. I am really leery about ordering online. I have had good experiences, but have also had bad luck at times. I do like to buy from other reefers, when possible. I used to get a lot from Louis, but he has shut the greenhouse operation down now.

I know I won't be buying any high end corals. My goal is not collecting, but making a realistic looking reef display. That can be done without spending outrageous prices for corals with catchy names. I also don't care for having coral frags lined up in the front of the tank like a display case in a jewelry store. That is not my kind of display.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New label maker at work... :)

Doser4.jpg

Are the valves in the dosing lines check valves or something else? Do you use them to keep the line primed when you need to refill? Love the details in this build, some really cool equipment, even the little things!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the valves in the dosing lines check valves or something else? Do you use them to keep the line primed when you need to refill? Love the details in this build, some really cool equipment, even the little things!
Those are quick disconnects. Makes it easier to remove the bottles when they need refilling. I do plan to install some check valves though, for the reason that you mentioned. Just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does the elite 40x15x15 hold enough and handle drain when power goes out? Website only shows 33 gal volume

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does the elite 40x15x15 hold enough and handle drain when power goes out? Website only shows 33 gal volume
My 40B sump did fine with my 140 (and a quarter of that was full to the top for a frag tank). I am also using the reverse check valves on my two returns (2-3 pages back in the thread) and that will stop the back-siphon from the returns immediately. I think I will be ok.

My old set-up. The compartment on the right was full of water (about 9 gallons), not leaving that much room for back-siphon from a 140 (returns were submerged more than 1"), but it handled it no problem.

Sump-816-14-1.jpeg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I haven't touched the tank since before Christmas. I am off all next week, so I hope to get something done on this tank. I did finish up the front side of my equipment cabinet today. So, a quick picture update...

ControlBoard1.jpg

ControlBoard2.jpg

ControlBoard3.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I haven't touched the tank since before Christmas. I am off all next week, so I hope to get something done on this tank. I did finish up the front side of my equipment cabinet today. So, a quick picture update...

ControlBoard1.jpg

ControlBoard2.jpg

ControlBoard3.jpg

Very nice!

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts of ditching older apex? Will need a controller for new system and was considering getting lower cost and classic is reasonable compared to $800 apex

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could snap my fingers and make my birnest of wires look like that! Nice!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the patience of a Saint, but looks like it pays great dividends, props!
Thanks. Yeah, more of a procrastination problem than a virtue. That Jimmy Buffett song line in my signature is there for a reason. :)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts of ditching older apex? Will need a controller for new system and was considering getting lower cost and classic is reasonable compared to $800 apex
No, not as long as it continues to be supported. I am not planning on adding the COR, WAV, or Trident, so it will do what I need to be done. At least I don't plan to go that route presently.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could snap my fingers and make my birnest of wires look like that! Nice!
Not sure how nice and neat it will be on the backside though. I might end up starting out that way, but no doubt over time it will end up messy. At least from the front, it should look ok for a while. :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back