Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will defiantly look for this!
I was just browsing and stopped in. I must say Wow...A bench mark build. I know Ill have to catch up but where did you get the color fittings
Thank you. Just an old guy building another tank. :) You can look for the fittings on HomeDepot.com. Look for furniture grade PVC pipe & fittings. I have never seen the colored stuff in the store, but it is readily available online.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back up drain finished. Actually making progress for once.

Plumbing tip: I tape and number all of my glue joints after dry fitting. Then I can remove the whole assembly and glue it up outside to cut down a little on the fumes. :) Just put the ends of the tape together when cementing and they will come out perfectly and fit when you mount the assembly.

Plumbing_Backup_Drain1.jpg

Second drain assembly installed. Quitting for the day. Taking the wife out for some Mexican food and a big cold margarita for me.

Plumbing_Backup_Drain2.jpg

Plumbing_Backup_Drain3.jpg

Plumbing_Backup_Drain4.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh snap, it’s almost water time! Looking like a pro, Gary.
It is definitely getting closer. I would like to get water in it soon and let it start cycling. I have some time off coming up next month and if possible, I would like to get water in it then. Fingers crossed. I have been sidetracked lots of times on this build. I know people are tired of the 17 page build and no water, but judging from my past tanks, that seems to be the way I roll. Getting older only slows down the process even more. :)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a year to build my current system before it got wet.
It took longer than that to just get my tank built. Some of the equipment is already starting to get obsolete. For instance, had I waited, I could have gotten the WiFi Powermodule. :)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took longer than that to just get my tank built. Some of the equipment is already starting to get obsolete. For instance, had I waited, I could have gotten the WiFi Powermodule. :)
It is amazing how fast the hobby is evolving nowadays.
Still, a lot of equipment serves for years to come.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is amazing how fast the hobby is evolving nowadays.
Still, a lot of equipment serves for years to come.
Yeah, I am not worried about the ATI. T5 bulbs a proven light source, with the addition of LED. If I don't have success, it won't be because of the light fixture. :)

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Looks great. Worth the wait I’d say. Although, I only started following and reading through this build early this morning. Now I’m hungry for more! I’m loving this build, seeing the set up progress, all the well thought out customizations and your attention to detail. It’s inspired me and given me great ideas that if I can pull off, you’ll get the cred. My current build has been in the works for 1.5 years so I can relate. Can’t imagine how great it must be to have all the plumbing glued up successfully. Finally! It’s worth the wait :)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Looks great. Worth the wait I’d say. Although, I only started following and reading through this build early this morning. Now I’m hungry for more! I’m loving this build, seeing the set up progress, all the well thought out customizations and your attention to detail. It’s inspired me and given me great ideas that if I can pull off, you’ll get the cred. My current build has been in the works for 1.5 years so I can relate. Can’t imagine how great it must be to have all the plumbing glued up successfully. Finally! It’s worth the wait :)
Thanks! Looks like you spent a while here this morning. :) I appreciate the comments and glad to have you following along.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good Following along, mine is in the cycle process
Thanks - and so is yours! Got caught up on your build today. Looking awesome!

We have a double pumper! Now I just have to figure out how to get the plumbing up to the Sea Swirls. That's going to be a trick.

Double Pumper3.jpg

Double Pumper2.jpg

Double Pumper1.jpg

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - and so is yours! Got caught up on your build today. Looking awesome!

We have a double pumper! Now I just have to figure out how to get the plumbing up to the Sea Swirls. That's going to be a trick.

Double Pumper3.jpg

Double Pumper2.jpg

Double Pumper1.jpg
Looks good I had the same trouble trying to run the 2 pumps up lol, but I think I am glad I did I leave my tank from time to time, and I don't have anyone I would trust on a pump replacement, I am sure yours will run with just one pump also

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did spend some time yesterday trying to figure out how I would accessorize the Sea Swirls. I will have a flow meter, gate valve and reverse check valve on each one. I think I have settled on this. All dry fitted at the moment. And yes, I know it is gathering a little dust! :)

SeaSwirl1.jpg

SeaSwirl2.jpg

SeaSwirl3.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was scrolling through Facebook today and saw a picture of my sump on the R2R page. It linked back to a thread entitled - Fix My Return Pump Problem. Not really sure why they used my sump as an example, except that there are two Vectra M-1s visible in the picture. Anyway, glad they did, because it saved me from redoing some plumbing. (See my last post above).

R2RFacebook.JPG

So anyway, I went to the thread and it involved a problem with an Vectra return pump, or plumbing. During the conversation it was noted that you shouldn't use a valve on the return line with the Vectra, use the controller to adjust the speed of the pump. This is something that I know, but because this build is taking so long, I totally didn't think about that while I was trying to plumb the return into the SeaSwirls to include a gate valve. So, back to the drawing board there. Glad I didn't permanently glue it up. Almost another mistake. ;Wideyed

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back