Fin's Reef Savvy 125

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was scrolling through Facebook today and saw a picture of my sump on the R2R page. It linked back to a thread entitled - Fix My Return Pump Problem. Not really sure why they used my sump as an example, except that there are two Vectra M-1s visible in the picture. Anyway, glad they did, because it saved me from redoing some plumbing. (See my last post above).

R2RFacebook.JPG

So anyway, I went to the thread and it involved a problem with an Vectra return pump, or plumbing. During the conversation it was noted that you shouldn't use a valve on the return line with the Vectra, use the controller to adjust the speed of the pump. This is something that I know, but because this build is taking so long, I totally didn't think about that while I was trying to plumb the return into the SeaSwirls to include a gate valve. So, back to the drawing board there. Glad I didn't permanently glue it up. Almost another mistake. ;Wideyed
Gary, I am not sure how your return lines are set, but if you have 1 return pump for 2 return lines till the tank, i do not see why there should not be a valve in the return line.
You will only have to make sure that you do not close both more then 50% at the same time. This to have the outlets not smaller then the pipe diameter at the pump so you can ensure free flow in the line at all times.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary, I am not sure how your return lines are set, but if you have 1 return pump for 2 return lines till the tank, i do not see why there should not be a valve in the return line.
You will only have to make sure that you do not close both more then 50% at the same time. This to have the outlets not smaller then the pipe diameter at the pump so you can ensure free flow in the line at all times.
Thanks, but each of my two DC pumps will have separate 1" returns going to two separate 3/4" SeaSwirls mounted on the back of the tank. One pump, one return line. This was done for redundancy, to ensure there will still be circulation between the sump and display, should one of the pumps go down. I did it this way, because on my last system, I had a return pump (Waterblaster) that would occasionally shut down, usually in the middle of the night, or when I was not home.

The valve in the return line works great for A/C pumps, provided you don't overly restrict the flow, as you mentioned. The output of the DC pumps is adjusted by using the controller and a separate valve should not be necessary.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but each of my two DC pumps will have separate 1" returns going to two separate 3/4" SeaSwirls mounted on the back of the tank. One pump, one return line. This was done for redundancy, to ensure there will still be circulation between the sump and display, should one of the pumps go down. I did it this way, because on my last system, I had a return pump (Waterblaster) that would occasionally shut down, usually in the middle of the night, or when I was not home.

The valve in the return line works great for A/C pumps, provided you don't overly restrict the flow, as you mentioned. The output of the DC pumps is adjusted by using the controller and a separate valve should not be necessary.
I plumbed mine with a return pump on each side too, I have also had a pump fail and one will run the tank. I was looking at your sea swirls they look pretty good wish I would have know about them before my tank was done I would have had the return lines drilled bigger and tried them but I think but not 100% yet I put VCA nozzles on my return lines I think they are doing a good job but it's hard to tell yet. Once I get coral in I will know.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed mine with a return pump on each side too, I have also had a pump fail and one will run the tank. I was looking at your sea swirls they look pretty good wish I would have know about them before my tank was done I would have had the return lines drilled bigger and tried them but I think but not 100% yet I put VCA nozzles on my return lines I think they are doing a good job but it's hard to tell yet. Once I get coral in I will know.
I noticed when I was planning this tank and looking at all sorts of tanks online, that some of the hobby icons had the SeaSwirls on their tanks. So, I decided to look into them and found that I liked the random flow, which I am hoping will work nicely with the two or three Mp-40s that I have. We will see.

I think you will be fine with the Random Flow Generators. I have one of the small ones on my nano, but the pump is probably not strong enough to get the full effect from it.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I haven't touched the tank or this thread for more than a couple of months. The tank has still been on the back burner because of other priorities. I do have some time off the next 10 days, so I hope to get something done on it.

I did cave and bought a new APEX 2016EL (Brain, EB832, pH probe & Temp Sensor). I already have the other probes, so got by for (only) $500. I will have to re-do my nice neat equipment cabinet that was all but finished. I have a taller cabinet which I need to put together and that will (hopefully) provide enough room for the new BULKY APEX and power bar. I need to leave room for expansion, which I didn't do before.

Hope to have some actual progress pics soon. Sorry this is dragging out like it is. I really need to get water in this thing.

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to get water in this thing.

Ha! He even admits it! ;Joyful

What'cha gonna do with that new Apex? I use my Apex Jr as a fancy timer for my T5 bulbs :D And I have it set to alert me if temps rise or fall, but I let the heaters control themselves.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! He even admits it! ;Joyful

What'cha gonna do with that new Apex? I use my Apex Jr as a fancy timer for my T5 bulbs :D And I have it set to alert me if temps rise or fall, but I let the heaters control themselves.
It won't control the ATI light, except for on and off. :) I will use it to control the MP-4os with the WXM module, control heaters, chiller, flow monitoring on each return, ATS, frag tank and UV. Leak detectors and backup to turn off my skimmer when the skimmate locker fails to shut it off (which it has done several times). I may chicken out on using the ATO though. I think I would prefer to use my Tunze instead. Plus anything else I can think of. :D

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't control the ATI light, except for on and off. :) I will use it to control the MP-4os with the WXM module, control heaters, chiller, flow monitoring on each return, ATS, frag tank and UV. Leak detectors and backup to turn off my skimmer when the skimmate locker fails to shut it off (which it has done several times). I may chicken out on using the ATO though. I think I would prefer to use my Tunze instead. Plus anything else I can think of. :D

I agree on the Tunze for ATO. I don't have my Profilux control the ATO. Just can't beat the Tunze and I hated the idea of using two float switches to keep the level. Felt like more opportunity for a failure. The Tunze has been rock solid on my tanks for years. Never an issue.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I thought I was taking it slow. I finally added some sticks. Things are progressing. Lets see what you can get done over the 10 days off. What is holding the tank back at this point?
Life. Always something.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the Tunze for ATO. I don't have my Profilux control the ATO. Just can't beat the Tunze and I hated the idea of using two float switches to keep the level. Felt like more opportunity for a failure. The Tunze has been rock solid on my tanks for years. Never an issue.
Same here. Seems the ATK is a bit flaky. No experience on my part, but it seems that I run across accounts of problems. I don't want an issue with top off.

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not get ATK! Nothing but problems. It either over or under fills on a daily basis (not by much but enough that it alarms constantly)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not get ATK! Nothing but problems. It either over or under fills on a daily basis (not by much but enough that it alarms constantly)
Yeah, I hear more bad than good about it. I actually already have it, but I should have waited to see what kind of reviews it got. I may sell it or use it elsewhere. I know the Tunze is rock solid reliable.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check that. I don't have the ATK module. Just a couple of FMM modules. I had to look to see, since I have been collecting equipment for a while and forgot what I have. :rolleyes:

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I hear more bad than good about it. I actually already have it, but I should have waited to see what kind of reviews it got. I may sell it or use it elsewhere. I know the Tunze is rock solid reliable.
I really wish we would have gotten the Tunze. Have a tunze nano on QT tank. No issues what so ever. Really debating just biting the dust and getting a tunze for the display.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back