Fin's Reef Savvy 125

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Small update. It's been a few weeks since I updated the thread. I have been tinkering with the canopy, dosing rack & containers. I will be trying out ATI Essentials on this tank. So, a few pics.

Doser1.jpg

Doser2.jpg

Doser3.jpg

CanopyRefurb1.jpg

CanopyRefurb2.jpg
That looks awesome!

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along nicely. With all the prep I though I did, 6 months after, I was thinking of things I could have done differently, it’s a labor of love and constant adjustment

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update/upgrade.
I like how clean you got the doser and bottle worked out.
I understood the ATI Essentials need a rather big dosing volume.
Will you be going for sps?
Thank you! I keep telling myself it will be a mixed reef, but I do love SPS, so it may end up that way. I have had luck in the past with mixing things up. This is my old 75. This was way back in 2005 and the reef was packed and thriving. I had a 30 gallon remote refugium on this tank.

Reef.jpg.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along nicely. With all the prep I though I did, 6 months after, I was thinking of things I could have done differently, it’s a labor of love and constant adjustment
This is one reason I go slow. I changed my mind a number of times on how this was going to go together - and I am sure there will be more changes before water hits it.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't wait until I have enough experience under my belt to have a reef like yours!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still need to refinish the canopy door, but I have the re-stained and painted canopy back on the tank. Kinda weird with no lights hanging on the inside of it. ATI fixture sitting on top. I do feel better now that the light fixture isn't suspended over a tank it took a year to get. :)

CanopyRefurb3.jpg

CanopyRefurb4.jpg

CanopyRefurb5.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still need to refinish the canopy door, but I have the re-stained and painted canopy back on the tank. Kinda weird with no lights hanging on the inside of it. ATI fixture sitting on top. I do feel better now that the light fixture isn't suspended over a tank it took a year to get. :)

CanopyRefurb3.jpg

CanopyRefurb4.jpg

CanopyRefurb5.jpg

Looking very good!

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are on the right track with the ATI Essentials, wish I had known about it earlier, if it continues to perform some of my equipment will become obsolete

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about equipment. My plan was to start out with kalkwasser dosed from my ATO through an Avast stirrer. Then add or graduate to my Geo calcium reactor. I already have both and they are new and unused. So, I may be in the same boat. At least I hadn’t made the leap to auto water change equipment yet.
:).

How fast are you going through the solutions?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
440 ml per day. Alk 7-7.3, Cal 490, Mag 1450
Not too bad. I won't have much of anything in the tank to start off with, so I plan to begin with the 5ml per 100 liters (about 30ml) that is recommended in the manual for new aquariums and go from there.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of sticks in my tank so I suspect the uptake of Alk will increase as the coral grow, but things are really stable so far

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is the longest tease thread online anywhere!!! Lol get on with it!

Great minds think alike, I started ATI Essentials with a doser a few weeks ago! Corals are responding well. I also have Acro Power being dosed daily in a very small amount. Puffy LPS.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is the longest tease thread online anywhere!!! Lol get on with it!

Great minds think alike, I started ATI Essentials with a doser a few weeks ago! Corals are responding well. I also have Acro Power being dosed daily in a very small amount. Puffy LPS.
Maybe, but when I am done with it, I will have it for many years (hopefully). :cool:

I hope my old doser still works ok. I think I will replace all of the heads and give it a test. I like not having to do water changes and not feel guilty about it. :D

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, but when I am done with it, I will have it for many years (hopefully). :cool:

I hope my old doser still works ok. I think I will replace all of the heads and give it a test. I like not having to do water changes and not feel guilty about it. :D
No doubt you will have a smooth running system when it is running.

Are you still planing on going with the siporax? Refugium in the mix?

I am not running a fuge on my tank but I do have an no3 export brick from brightwell. My NO3 hovers between 5 and 12.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt you will have a smooth running system when it is running.

Are you still planing on going with the siporax? Refugium in the mix?

I am not running a fuge on my tank but I do have an no3 export brick from brightwell. My NO3 hovers between 5 and 12.
I had an old Geo Kalk Reactor laying around here that I never used, so I turned it into a reactor for Siporax. I have a Turbo Algae Turf Scrubber and a 20 gallon remote refugium, which will be more of an auxiliary tank than a functioning refugium. Not planning on any chaeto. I have one of those Britewell bricks too, but not sure I will use it. Have you had any problem with yours crumbling? I had read some of them came apart once wet for a while.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back