Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome Fin! Nice work.
Thank you! I am trying.
Nicely done looks [emoji1303] what type of light is above the 20L or refugium?
Thanks! The refugium light is a Build My LED refugium light. I was planning this set-up for my old 140 and abandoned that project when I made the decision to upgrade the tank. So, I have a light from a company no longer in business to start out with. One of the problems with long, drawn out builds - stuff gets obsolete before you finish. :)

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get you on that , same thing happened to me for on of my Fresh water builds , from a company called fishneedit.com which no longer is in business now . So understand you on that [emoji817] %

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get you on that , same thing happened to me for on of my Fresh water builds , from a company called fishneedit.com which no longer is in business now . So understand you on that [emoji817] %
Yeah, also like the ATI fixture. It isn't obsolete, but once I got it, they came out with a black fixture. I would have preferred to not have the light aluminum colored fixture hanging above a fairly dark tank and stand.
Congratulations! Very nice job indeed. :)
Thanks! I hope to make quicker progress now. Hopefully. :)
Alright! Things are looking good Fin!
Just that slow, methodical build like you mentioned before. It is fun taking your time. :)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. I have spent quite a bit of time on this thing over the last few days and can hardly tell. :)

11-15-17-01.jpg

11-15-17-02.jpg

11-15-17-03.jpg

11-15-17-05.jpg

11-15-17-04.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an amazing sump setup as well. The blue PVC pipes and valves just put your system over the top too. Very nice!
Thank you, I appreciate the compliment. This would kinda be like a small frag tank for you. :) I have quietly followed your tank thread and it is one of my favorites. I was amazed to see Felix and the whole Reef Savvy team build that bad boy in your basement.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on the equipment cabinet that will sit next to the tank. This is an inexpensive Ikea cabinet.
I put a board down the center of the cabinet, dividing it up into a front half for as many controls as I can fit on the
front board and the two EB8's and power bricks out os site on the back. Hopefully this will work out. :)

Everything, except the power strip is just laying on the board to try to get an idea of where everything will end up.
It will hopefully be a little straighter when I attach it to the board. :) The visible wires won't be seen when everything
is permanently installed - I hope. I also built a small base that this will sit on and house two backup batteries and
transformers. That's not in the picture.

Cabinet1.jpg
Cabinet2.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately ordered everything I needed for an APEX ATO system - before they came out with the kit, which includes a bracket for the sensors and the back-up emergency float valve. Of course, I don't believe you can order the bracket separately, so I have been pondering on how I can mount all these sensors in a compact magnetic bracket. Then I ran across this in my "extra stuff bin." An unused Neptune probe holder! Looks like it will work out perfectly and as neat and compact as possible. Keeping it Neptune! :) I am running the wires up a piece of plastic tubing, which I will probably paint blue to hide the wires better.

I will plug the two optical sensors into the FMM Module and the float switch into the Avast Break Out Box.

SensorBracket.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what an amazing set up! Could you please post a picture a little further back of the equipment cabinet?
Thanks! What exactly do you want to see? Pretty much everything is in the picture, except a small base I made to house the power supplies. The cabinet is currently just laying on the floor and nothing is permanently attached to the board, so I can't stand it up.

Last edited:

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your controller cabinet. How are you running the wires to the back of your board? I like how angling your tank across the corner gives you all that working room behind but still doesn't take up much real estate in the room. Great build!!!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your controller cabinet. How are you running the wires to the back of your board? I like how angling your tank across the corner gives you all that working room behind but still doesn't take up much real estate in the room. Great build!!!
Thanks! There is a hidden compartment behind the control board. Hopefully, all of my wiring, EB-8s, power bricks will fit back there. It will be full. Not really ready to wire it up yet.

The one issue I have run into with the tank being at a diagonal is that it makes it difficult to remove the acrylic shield from the ATI fixture (8 bulb Powermodule LED/T5 Hybrid). Meaning, I will have to take the fixture down to replace bulbs. Since I plan to replace bulbs gradually, one or two at a time. Having to take it down often will become a pain.

I am contemplating reworking my old canopy, to have the fixture sit on top of it. Can't really place it inside of the canopy, because it would not cool properly and it would be even more difficult to change bulbs in the cramped confines of the canopy interior. So, I cut an opening in the top of the canopy and will see how this works. Not really my idea, I have seen a few builds that did this. The fixture is low profile, so it shouldn't look bad sitting up there. I will permanently mount the acrylic shield just below the fixture and make sure it is sealed well to keep splashes off of the reflectors and still allow for cooling. I was going to throw the canopy away anyway, so I am glad that I held onto it to try this out. No big deal if it doesn't work as planned.

It will also keep the light from spilling out into the living room and satisfy the wife about that. She has been eyeing the fixture since I hung it from the ceiling shaking her head. Gotta keep her happy.

It is in need of some stain, paint and TLC and fans, but the stand came out nice, so no reason this can't look nice again also. Sand it down, re-stain, paint the inside white and the back side black. I can also mount the huge light controller on the back of the canopy and hide the large power cord better. Wife didn't like that either and I suppose I really didn't either.

Canopy2.jpg

Also thinking about borrowing another idea (from ReeferEric here on R2R) and using a tinted front glass panel, instead of doors. It would allow me to keep an eye on the sump, without having a completely open front. Again, had to get the wife on board with this, since the tank is essentially in "her" room. :) Just a thought at this point. Something like this...

56ReefSavvy1.jpg

Back