Fintastic connection: Do you engage with your fish?

Do you engage with your fish?

• Yes, I talk to my fish.

Votes: 116 35.2%
  • Yes, my fish have names.

Votes: 73 22.1%
  • My fish seem like they are interacting with me.

Votes: 67 20.3%
  • No, I like to watch my fish, but don’t interact with them individually.

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • No, I don’t interact with my fish.

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 2.7%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fintastic connection: Do you engage with your fish?

There are many different reasons to have a reef tank and there are many ways to interact with the fish that live in it. There are fish whisperers and then there are those that talk out loud to their fish. Whether you primarily focus on the entire ecosystem, watch the movement of the fish and corals within the tank, or have developed a connection with specific livestock, tell us how you interact with your tank. If you are willing to admit it, let us know if you talk to your fish and maybe even, do your fish seem to be communicating with you?

Pro Tip: Whether or not you name your fish or treat them as pets, it is a good practice to take the time to observe each individual fish on a regular basis in order to be able to identify any health or interaction concerns. It is typically easier to treat an issue before it becomes severe so early detection is key.

sdreef_helloFish.jpeg

Photo by @sdreef

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

"Our goal at Tidal Gardens is to supply reef aquarists with high-quality aquacultured corals through extensive farming and propagation with little to no impact on the natural reefs."

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Flamehawk in my avatar pic is the nosiest fish ever. He's WAY more concerned with what's going on outside the tank than in the tank. I regularly find him right at the glass looking at me when I'm working on something. I just happen to look at the tank and there he is staring me down.

My wife and I name all of our fish and talk to the ones that come to the front to greet us. The Flamehawk, Sailfin Tang and our Valentini Puffer are the most interactive we have at the moment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I dont talk to my fish but rather observe them BUT . . . They do have me cussing at them when they splash or are squabbling with each other

1684160764157.png

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all have names, usually it just devolves into referring to them by species though.
Sometimes I talk, but I’m in the same boat of that being mostly yelling at them. They don’t listen.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My two clowns have names. Stump and skip. Skip is a mis bar and stump had something that rotted off his tail when I first got him. He has since healed and regrown it. They seem to recognize me and come wag along the front glass when I come up to the tank but the minute I stick my hand in they are in attack mode. Clown behavior reminds me of k9 behavior, they have very individualized personalities.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have been known to talk to my fish. More so yell at them when they fight. Some selective swear words and tapping on the glass when they misbehave. But I often wonder if they're watching me more than I am watching them. Almost every fish comes and follows me wherever I go when I'm in front of the tank.

XtraKargo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Each of ours have names, and some of the inverts and corals even have a name. And as far as talking to them, does cussing my clown count when I am getting nipped at for adjusting my corals or removing bubble algae?

"frickin' frackin' gosh durn fitcshie goway!"

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say my interaction is about as much as me dropping their food in or me screaming at them not to bite me as I nervously put my hand in the tank. I do observe them for well being but that is about it. I am not a fish person they are just part of the ecosystem.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i don't really speak to them, but they do seem to interact with me in regards to showing curiosity and hover ing around the glass as i am inspecting the tank and its inhabitants.

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will talk to my fish, but I have only ever named 2 fish. When I was first starting out I got a pair of clownfish, 1 orange and 1 black that I jokingly called nemo and emo, my younger siblings decided that was funny and so the names stuck.

Staci.Pinck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of our fish (2 tanks) are named after Final Fantasy XIV video game characters based on their colorations & behaviors. We both talk to them on a regular basis and the fish in the larger tank are pretty good about demanding some form of attention. Most active are the Falco Hawkfish (he must touch any coral you are looking at), the Cleaner Wrasse (demanding of the Nori "salad bar"), and the Sailfin Tang (especially when it's near feeding time). The clowns in the other tank are very puppy-ish and like to be hand fed. None of the fish attack (yet), but the cleaner wrasse will nibble on whichever hand/arm is in the tank...making sure we have no diseases, I suppose lol.

Attachments

• photo_2023-05-11_11-17-15.jpg
    photo_2023-05-11_11-17-15.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 31

NkSde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are all named
Coral and marlin are my clowns obviously

coral is very mean
And she gets marlin in on the action during algae scrapings

Bertram my firefish is shy, but he’s a nice guy hangs out mid column in the flow picking pods most of the day. But willing to chat during lunch.

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns will attack my hand, does that count? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

My sexy shrimp will climb upon my hand and arm though when I am algae scraping or doing any work in the tank. It will take food out of my fingers and scurry back to the rock flower it sits on. The other fish these days don't seem phased or skittish at all around me even if hand is in the tank which is a win/win for me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back