Fire Shrimp Molting & Hiding

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I put my fire shrimp in the main display tank a little over a month ago. Since then he has been hiding and molting non stop. Never see him coming out, not even to eat. He's molted 3x in the month of Nov. Is this good or bad?

I know molting is considered to be a good thing but is there such a thing as over molting?

Last edited:

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually a lot of molting is because of over feeding. The shrimp will hide while molting so that it will not get preyed on by other fish. When my cleaner shrimp molted another fish took it out... to easy... like being in a knife fight with your legs and arms tied behind your back. What kind of other fish do you have in your tank?

They really don't have to be at feeding time to get food. They are scavengers so it probably is getting food from leftovers, algae etc.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually a lot of molting is because of over feeding. The shrimp will hide while molting so that it will not get preyed on by other fish. When my cleaner shrimp molted another fish took it out... to easy... like being in a knife fight with your legs and arms tied behind your back. What kind of other fish do you have in your tank?

They really don't have to be at feeding time to get food. They are scavengers so it probably is getting food from leftovers, algae etc.
Gotcha.. I have clowns, purple fire, pj cardinals, a Blenny and a powder brown tang. The only aggressive fish in my tank right now are the clowns but they're not even that aggressive.

The only time I do see him is when the powder brown tang peeps by and the fire shrimp starts cleaning it.

& yeah about the feeding. It's only ate at feeding time 1x in this entire month so it's getting all the food from savaging.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back