Fire-Tail Devil/Dottyback?

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any experience with one of these? Looks like a giant wrasse but apparently is completely unrelated. I’m not finding a ton of solid info online. Some say reef safe, some say not. My LFS had a massive 5-6” gorgeous fish that someone traded in and I’d like to get my hands on it…

he/she was very photoshy, this was the best I could do lol

52284C27-B87F-48E1-8C4F-901D9596DC22.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a Labracinus cyclophthalmus, one of the largest dottybacks. Their common name of fire-tail devil is likely in refection to their behavior - they are MEAN. I haven't worked with one in years, not worth the hassle IMO. They can get about twice the size of this one. They are "reef safe" in that they won't bother corals, but they will eat shrimp and may attack other fish.

Jay

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a Labracinus cyclophthalmus, one of the largest dottybacks. Their common name of fire-tail devil is likely in refection to their behavior - they are MEAN. I haven't worked with one in years, not worth the hassle IMO. They can get about twice the size of this one. They are "reef safe" in that they won't bother corals, but they will eat shrimp and may attack other fish.

Jay
Think one would be fine in a 1200g tank with large angels, tangs and triggers?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think one would be fine in a 1200g tank with large angels, tangs and triggers?

IDK - I stopped acquiring these decades ago due to their aggressive tendencies, so I don't have a good frame of reference for you - sorry. In a large fish-only tank, they are probably o.k.

Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back