Firefish hate flow?

Nubomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I read a post somewhere that this is common - plus I know they tend to be skiddish in general. When I turn off my return pump and power head, he comes out and hangs around. Once they are turned back on, he darts back into his rock. Don’t know if it the sound/vibrations or too much flow.

My power head is already on its lowest setting and at times I feel it’s a little too much - tank is a small 13.5 EVO. However, all my corals seem happy and growing. Should I try and mess with the flow or just come to terms with a fish in constant hiding?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the fish hide even when food is provided? I've never heard of firefish disliking flow. My firefish are incredibly skittish regardless of flow, so it could just be an "I am shy" issue. If the fish is getting enough to eat, and the corals are happy, then I'd rather not mess with the system.

OP
OP
N

Nubomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get a recent picture of the tank

This guy was my first fish, he has been in the tank for around 6 months. Since, I’ve added a YWG/Pistol and a small clown. He has always been shy.

When I feed, he slowly comes out but goes right back into hiding. When I spot feed corals and turn off all flow/pump is when he comes out front and center and will hang right in the middle of the tank like he owns the place. the clown doesn’t bother him. He does this the whole time flow is off.

Stock Evo pump and a Jeabo Wave maker SOW-4 set on lowest speed and random setting.

OP
OP
N

Nubomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of tank wave maker location.
EC2DB570-CC3C-46DA-B429-3F4712B7A836.jpeg

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice something similar with mine. When I turn off my wave maker he goes out and about exploring the entire tank. When the wave maker is on which is almost always he stays in his cave in the morning but comes out front and center like he owns the tank all afternoon doesn't really go swimming around much.

OP
OP
N

Nubomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps off and he immediately hangs out

Not feeding in this pic. Maybe expecting a treat.

6B2BA398-47C7-4CBD-8BD2-85C1800F33F2.jpeg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao’s are pretty powerful even on lowest settings. I have one in a 10 gal nano and have it on a timer to run 30 minutes once every 2 hours.

Also, have you tried aiming the flow toward one of the sides of the tank?

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just need to post that I have observed the exact same thing.
My firefish comes out and swims around when all pumps are off.
This is not a feeding response because i do not turn off all my pumps when feeding and he still wants to keep his tail in his cave at all times even when there is food

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the flow has anything to do with it. Firefish are notional. Mine were always out, even in high flow with two Nero 3s at 60-75% in a 15 gallon. They'd even hang out and watch me clean/water change the tank. It didn't faze them.

Now they hang in their cave almost all the time even with about half the flow they used to get. They just got skittish from some imaginary monster. They come out to beg for food but half the time go hungry because they dart back in as soon as I approach the tank.

Every Firefish I've owned has gotten notional from time to time. They usually bounce back eventually. I guess just too many scary movies...

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always avoided flow also.....they seemed to be one of those fish that weren't designed to handle high energy reef zones.....kind of like lionfish.

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the flow has anything to do with it. Firefish are notional. Mine were always out, even in high flow with two Nero 3s at 60-75% in a 15 gallon. They'd even hang out and watch me clean/water change the tank. It didn't faze them.

Now they hang in their cave almost all the time even with about half the flow they used to get. They just got skittish from some imaginary monster. They come out to beg for food but half the time go hungry because they dart back in as soon as I approach the tank.

Every Firefish I've owned has gotten notional from time to time. They usually bounce back eventually. I guess just too many scary movies...
They might just be different. Because mine has not been swimming in the open for the 3 months i have had it. The moment all pumps are off it goes out. The moment the pump comes on it goes back hiding

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some fish that barely seem to be able to swim: Bengai cardinals, a hairy blenny, a file fish. Dart fish are not that inept. My tank is a high flow with a 50+ turnover rate. And none of the poor swimmers have ever had any trouble with it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back