Firefish relationships

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen one of my firefish for 3 days. He wasn't in the rear sump (I've pulled him out 4 times), so I'm considering him dead. Maybe my pistol shrimp got him, I don't know.

Either way, the other firefish is out and about. Can I just get another one, maybe a purple one (the one I have now is a plain red/white one). Can I get 2 more or will they pick on the other?

The tank is a 32 gallon red sea.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the fish jumped you might have an unwanted lurker. I would definitely look into that first.. Don't forget about the Pistol shrimp though. It might take some doing and it would suck to sacrifice a fish for this. Get the flashlight and do some homework IMO. GL.

BTW how big is the tank and what else do you have in it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the fish jumped you might have an unwanted lurker. I would definitely look into that first.. Don't forget about the Pistol shrimp though. It might take some doing and it would suck to sacrifice a fish for this. Get the flashlight and do some homework IMO. GL.

BTW how big is the tank and what else do you have in it?
2 clowns and a blue spot goby. The pistol shrimp has been in the tank since May. The firefish since December.

What kind of lurker?

Grsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
MAke sure you have a cover. I used to not have one and came home to it about 5 feet away from my tank

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had one response saying that I can't add another firefish. Does every one agree with that?

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two purple fire fish a few months ago and they are doing great in my 130G tank. They were in different tanks at the LFS and one was bigger in hopes they would pair. They do sleep next to each other next to my clams. That’s my short term experience. JP

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two purple fire fish a few months ago and they are doing great in my 130G tank. They were in different tanks at the LFS and one was bigger in hopes they would pair. They do sleep next to each other next to my clams. That’s my short term experience. JP
Did you have an existing firefish or are those the only 2?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of firefish. They do fine together. I had two pair in a 300 gallon. They took separate wings of the tank. But one pair asserted itself and the other pair became more and more reclusive...... I have heard that multiples can be housed, but it has not worked for me.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue spot watchman ate my firefish :( They were fine in the DT, but during a fallow period and in QT it didn't take long for the firefish to be missing one morning and the goby with a visibly distended belly and a guilty look on that grumpy face. My blue spot is large though, even if it still looked like the firefish had to be a tight fit. Just another possibility if yours is also large.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of firefish. They do fine together. I had two pair in a 300 gallon. They took separate wings of the tank. But one pair asserted itself and the other pair became more and more reclusive...... I have heard that multiples can be housed, but it has not worked for me.
Wow, they found the other pair in a 300? I have a 32 gal.

I'm just wondering if I can add 1, or will the other fight with him.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue spot watchman ate my firefish :( They were fine in the DT, but during a fallow period and in QT it didn't take long for the firefish to be missing one morning and the goby with a visibly distended belly and a guilty look on that grumpy face. My blue spot is large though, even if it still looked like the firefish had to be a tight fit. Just another possibility if yours is also large.
My blue spot is bigger than them, but I don't think that's the case. He doesn't look any fatter and was still hungry that day.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I still haven't got an answer, can I add another firefish? Maybe a different color or will they fight?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless they are a bonded pr, firefish are intolerant of each other, so no, do not add another firefish.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back