Firefish with Hi Fin Goby

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I’m planning my restocking on my fluval 13.5. Right now the plan involves a Hi Fin Banded Goby with a shrimp (definite), a pair of clowns (which may not be permanent residence based on their behavior), and some fourth fish.

Previously, I had a clown, royal gramma, firefish, and sharknose goby. They did great together but eventually got velvet (thanks to Petco’s quality livestock) and died. Instead of redoing the stocking exactly, I want to change it up a bit.

The firefish was my favorite fish in my original stocking. However, I also was a huge fan of the royal gramma’s personality, and would totally try it again if the opportunity saw itself.

I am reluctant on the firefish though, as they look very similar to banded gobies, which I fear would cause them to fight over territory. So the final fish in my tank depends on these two questions:

In a fluval 13.5, will a banded goby and firefish fight?
If not, will they live together, in the same hole, pushing the shrimp out?

Thank you!

reefpunk707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I’m planning my restocking on my fluval 13.5. Right now the plan involves a Hi Fin Banded Goby with a shrimp (definite), a pair of clowns (which may not be permanent residence based on their behavior), and some fourth fish.

Previously, I had a clown, royal gramma, firefish, and sharknose goby. They did great together but eventually got velvet (thanks to Petco’s quality livestock) and died. Instead of redoing the stocking exactly, I want to change it up a bit.

The firefish was my favorite fish in my original stocking. However, I also was a huge fan of the royal gramma’s personality, and would totally try it again if the opportunity saw itself.

I am reluctant on the firefish though, as they look very similar to banded gobies, which I fear would cause them to fight over territory. So the final fish in my tank depends on these two questions:

In a fluval 13.5, will a banded goby and firefish fight?
If not, will they live together, in the same hole, pushing the shrimp out?

Thank you!
I had a firefish and hi fin goby in a 30 gal. They did fine together and shared the same burrow sometimes. The firefish are more active than the goby. Goby just hangs out on the bottom or in a burrow and the firefish will actually swim around. I just got a pistol shrimp for the goby and they paired right up. Super cool relationship they have.

Back