Fireworm situation killing my tank

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a thermometer that is color coded to the specs you suggested.

Are sticker thermometers very accurate? I would think not. 75 is still a bit low. Why are you resistant to raising it the recommended optimum temp?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are not dying, I have had my clown for over 10 years and she is doing great. The Anemones have grown a lot since I have had them. I take pictures once a week to keep track of how they are progressing. The water is checked every 2 weeks with my local Fish store since they have a better testing kit. I have had only some slight PH issues. I will post my water levels soon.

I understand the different reactions and thanks for sharing. I know a neuro toxic reaction when I see one, very different from a mere sensitivity. I have an extensive background in emergency medicine <recently retired> That is cool that you have so many anemones and that you can handle them. Thanks for sharing! :)
You did say in your original post you recently lost a clown. Clowns should live much longer than 10 years. I have a pair I have had for 26 year now. They still spawn ever 2 weeks.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are sticker thermometers very accurate? I would think not. 75 is still a bit low. Why are you resistant to raising it the recommended optimum temp?
They are very hit and miss as are heaters and the temp markings on them. My experience with testing aquarium heaters and thermometers is they vary plus or minus 4 degrees. Some of the ones with digital read outs are the worst. I suggest you get an accurate thermometer to at least compare against your so you know what your temp really is. You want one that tells you it’s accuracy. Something like plus or minus .5 degrees or better. I have not seen any aquarium heaters or thermometers that even give their accuracy at all, but I have not looked recently.
I also suggest you get decent test kits yourself. Most LFS will just say your tests look ok or good. They often are using the cheapest test kits available. If they are using decent test kits they should be giving you numbers for results. You want real numbers so you can track changes to your tank. Do you know what they are testing for?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back