First ATI ICP test results...source water issues?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in my first ICP tests recently for my frag and RO/DI water, mainly because some sps die on impact and others a slow death and I can't seem to figure out what exactly the issue is, so...why not get some tests done?

Seems I might have some issues with my source water, but I have no idea how to resolve those issues aside from my current RO/DI system consisting to 2x 75 gpd membranes (not new anymore but seem to still do the job according to tds readings), sediment filter, 2x carbon filters and 2x DI chambers.

So...I'll add the test results for your viewing pleasure and if anyone can make recommendations I'd surely be appreciative.

Attachments

• Analyse15639_frag.pdf
    129.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Analyse16272_RO.pdf
    129.4 KB · Views: 202

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that source water just tap water (the TDS is higher than my incoming tap water in Boston)?

If not, the DI is long since depleted (or there was a mistake somewhere). The TDS is well over 100 ppm TDS.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RO water was taken from the RO reservoir under the tank, not necessarily directly/fresh from the RO/DI unit. Maybe I made a mistake there in not using the brand new water.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless, seems Tin levels are high in the source water, what, if anything can be done for that? DI has been changed since the test was taken. I do have new RO membranes, maybe I should implement those as well?

I tend to change out DI when inline outgoing TDS reads 1-2 ppm, so I guess I didn't think I was generating such awful water with those readings.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RO water was taken from the RO reservoir under the tank, not necessarily directly/fresh from the RO/DI unit. Maybe I made a mistake there in not using the brand new water.

Something is wrong. Are there any metal parts in that storage container? A float switch? A pump? Those would not add the high sodium, chloride, etc, but could add tin.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless, seems Tin levels are high in the source water, what, if anything can be done for that? DI has been changed since the test was taken. I do have new RO membranes, maybe I should implement those as well?

I tend to change out DI when inline outgoing TDS reads 1-2 ppm, so I guess I didn't think I was generating such awful water with those readings.

The water tested is above 100 ppm TDS.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that I do not understand their RO analyse and their recommendations on that. If the analyse is right - its tap water - not RO water. But why do they recommend salinity of 35 psu for RO water?

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water tested is above 100 ppm TDS.
It must have gained TDS in either my RO/DI holding container and/or smaller reservoir under the tank. It didn't come out of the unit at 100 ppm unless my TDS meter is terribly broken. (both inline and handheld read nothing more than 1-2 with fresh RO/DI) That said, my complete water station has been changed since this sample was sent in. New holding tanks, new pump, same float valve.

There used to be a pump that sat in the RO/DI container all the time to pump the fresh water to the salt mixing container. That pump isn't used anymore, now I have an external pump to transfer between holding tanks.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that I do not understand their RO analyse and their recommendations on that. If the analyse is right - its tap water - not RO water. But why do they recommend salinity of 35 psu for RO water?

Sincerely Lasse
I agree, the recommendation to increase salinity is silly.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that you've changed everything I'd do a test of the RODI fresh out of the output tube and then another one of RODI that has been sitting in your holding reservoir for a bit. It's possible that with changing out your entire RODI station, you fixed your problem. From what it looks like, it definitely seems that something in your RODI reservoir was leading a lot of stuff into the water.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchased another ICP test kit, but just one. Which will mean I can only test one RO/DI source. I'm not sure if it's better to test the water straight out of the unit, or from the holding reservoir. Probably straight from the output.

I am considering swapping out the membranes as well on the RO/DI unit, just because I have two new ones and the current ones are....4+ years old. I don't know, maybe that's not necessary either.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also going to test the main display tank this time to see if there's a difference there. IF I can figure this out I'm hoping it will help with my sps issues!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the TDS from your tap water, direct from the outlet of your RO/DI and from the outlet of your storage container. You should be able to see what´s happen an where the problem is if you compare the figures.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get tds readings on all three later today when I get home with my handheld meter. Just for curiosity sake.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could my poor source water readings really just be caused by depleted DI at the time of the test? Such that...changing DI more often (ugh) would remove all these metals that are showing up?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could my poor source water readings really just be caused by depleted DI at the time of the test? Such that...changing DI more often (ugh) would remove all these metals that are showing up?

Well, the tap tds would have to be super high to get that much through a functioning RO membrane, then through a depleted di, but it isn’t impossible.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tap tds would have to be super high to get that much through a functioning RO membrane, then through a depleted di, but it isn’t impossible.
Tap TDS is 400-500 consistently before it goes through water softener. After softener I'm not sure.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inline TDS typically reads 5 or less after RO and before DI so would seem RO membranes are still functioning if TDS meter is to be believed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back