OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump the salinity up to 1.025 or 1.026 right now. No need to do it slowly. In fact you won't grow the bacteria you want til it's at the proper level.

Save a couple bucks and try the kamoer x1 when it's doser time. I have three running. Love them. That interface of the jeabo scared me away from it, as it was my first option

Awesome ill bump those numbers up today then, and i like the kamoer x1 but just the one pump for 60 bucks??? kinda dissapointing compared to the jeabo. I just dont have the money to back the purchase for 3 yet. But thank you for your suggestion!

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: So i got the stand rebuilt and the tank on and well all sorts of stuff.

-Innovative marine has a ghost skimmer that fits inside the back, I went to a local LFS a couple days ago to find a protein skimmer and the first one I bought was the Coral life Bio-cube one. It almost fit just barley fit I was a little urked but thankfully the store was able to refund me anddddddd they had the IM skimmer in stock, it was the last one and the manager gave me a HUGE discount on it like about 60 dollars off haha. I said yes way to fast but happy I did it.

- I got about 25 lbs of dry rock, Im not a big fan of paying 15 dollars a lb for a rock with the beneficial bacteria cause well the cost and possible hitchhikers. I've had terrible luck with those in the past. Like I bought just a little 3 lb rock and BOOM various little critters. soooo nope haha

-Last and not least bought a bag of live sand Fuji Pink not to small of a grain and not to big, like the Goldilocks of sand imo.

-But anyways ive started the cycle a few days ago and slowly raising the salinity. The parameters are slowly getting to safe levels. I plan on adding my fish in about a week or 2. Its all tank level dependent but looking forward to it. IE not rushing into it.

Here is the stock list that im thinking of:
2x Black and white clown-fish
1x Mandarin goby "my lfs has some that eat pellets and live cope-pods BIG win for sure"
2x fire-fish gobys "Ill do some more research if there safe to have with the mandarin"

Now this list isn't certain, I know I dont have a lot of room to play with but its gonna change, Id love some feedback with what fish you guys might think would do good. But the corals im looking at starting with are gonna be zoanthids, I have heard great things that they are great for beginners so starting with those! anyways thats all for today and always

-HAPPY REEFING :)

20200829_223330.jpg 20200829_223324.jpg 20200826_215609.jpg
Mandarin's a good choice, everyone loves them. Ive got a 20g and my friendI made at my LFS said hed ween a mandarin onto preparedd foods. My dad thinnks its really complicated tho XD

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome ill bump those numbers up today then, and i like the kamoer x1 but just the one pump for 60 bucks??? kinda dissapointing compared to the jeabo. I just dont have the money to back the purchase for 3 yet. But thank you for your suggestion!
Depends how many things you have to dose. I use all for reef nopox and Acro power.

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin's a good choice, everyone loves them. Ive got a 20g and my friendI made at my LFS said hed ween a mandarin onto preparedd foods. My dad thinnks its really complicated tho XD

I have never had a mandarin before but am excited to get one. Ive done a lot of research on them, like feeding and size and habitat I just want the little guy to live a long happy life. Plus there so cool to watch swim. Weening them onto prepared foods is a bit of a challenge with some of them but ive heard and seen that it can be done. But just in case im going to establish a cope-pod population first then maybe set up a hatchery for them!

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOOOOOO after no updates for a long time, its here its done and its really coming together!

Stock list is:
2x ocelaris clownfish
1x firefish goby (I used to have 2 but had to get rid of one because it kept bullying the other one)
(I used to have a mandarin goby but unfortunatly it had a lymphoid and he didnt make it.)
At least a 1,000 copepods haha "probably more"

For coral I mainly have zoanthids but I have a small hammer coral, duncan with 3 heads, its in the processes of splitting, and I have some GSP.

My plan is to have the right side of the aquascape be zoas and on the left have some room for more duncans or hammer. But really excited to see how everything goes!

Let me know what you all think and leave some suggestions for more fish or coral. Mainly coral haha and always

Happy reefing :)

20201108_141123.jpg

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOOOOOO after no updates for a long time, its here its done and its really coming together!

Stock list is:
2x ocelaris clownfish
1x firefish goby (I used to have 2 but had to get rid of one because it kept bullying the other one)
(I used to have a mandarin goby but unfortunatly it had a lymphoid and he didnt make it.)
At least a 1,000 copepods haha "probably more"

For coral I mainly have zoanthids but I have a small hammer coral, duncan with 3 heads, its in the processes of splitting, and I have some GSP.

My plan is to have the right side of the aquascape be zoas and on the left have some room for more duncans or hammer. But really excited to see how everything goes!

Let me know what you all think and leave some suggestions for more fish or coral. Mainly coral haha and always

Happy reefing :)

20201108_141123.jpg
You could probably keep another firefish, but if you already have clowns he may get bullied, but he may also just huddle with th eother firefish, then he would do well. i love the zoa idea, maybe try some mushrooms as well, discosoma shroomas and ricordea florida are awesome.

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably keep another firefish, but if you already have clowns he may get bullied, but he may also just huddle with th eother firefish, then he would do well. i love the zoa idea, maybe try some mushrooms as well, discosoma shroomas and ricordea florida are awesome.

I would like to get another firefish but sadly all my nearby lfs cant order any fish right now due to long wait times due to covid. The poor shops around here have to up sale the fish like ALOTTTT lol. But i will definitely find some of those. Ive wanted to get some mushrooms for the sand bed to add some more movement.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back