First Build thread with my AIO IM 25G Lagoon

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone this is going to be the process of my 25g lagoon tank, sadly I cant set up the tank just yet and also sadly not anytime soon but sooner then most ha ha. There are quite a few things I gotta do first.
  1. Gotta do it right and slow, slow is smooth smooth is fast ha ha
  2. Still gotta get some more gear for the tank. When I first started saltwater I had to do things on the cheap and made short cuts "defiantly not doing that again!"
  3. Planning, I want to make this my first ever reef tank so defiantly going to be taking it slow and think of everything i can do to make it easier for me and my significant other. P.S. "she really really really wants clown-fish!"
So I'll start posting up some pictures of what I currently have and try to be as informative as I can. If you have any questions about the tank and gear please feel free to ask. I found the hardest part to start was finding a good reputable tank. There just wasn't enough info about the ones I liked or within my price range. So please allow me to help out if I can :)
20200319_175201.jpg

But here we have the TANK!!!!!!! already did a leak test and everything works! Holds all the water and has some space in the back for misc gear. With a nice return pump and two intakes on each side, which is great because Idk if I want to experiment with having two different types of filtration or just sticking with one. Still nice to have the option though!
20200319_175125.jpg

Here is the back portion of the tank, water flow from the pump is good right out of the box, haven't played with it too much but will spend some time with it but for sure will go for some better flow methods. There is a lot of room on this bad Larry "well compared to my nano 8g" a lot of room for activity's for sure!

So far this tank is great quite a "large" foot print for such a "little" tank. The kit I got did not come with a light so I have already ordered one currently its shipping as we speak and will update with pictures and possibly video. If you all have any suggestions, tips and tricks please let me know! All the equipment is going through my research phase right now so when I pick one you all will know right after! But please know that the cycle wont start for a few months but i'll try and keep you all entertained!

-Thanks again and happy reefing :)

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the first steps, leak test. Following along...

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news!!!!!!! I got my light in earlier today its the "Ni-crew hyper-reef Mini LED Light" so far its a pretty neat, its a small light and has a built in fan! Perfect for the tank, a good spread of light and has different color settings and brightness. It does not how ever connect to phone or wi-if. I wish i did buy those lights but they are a hefty penny.
Snapchat-530069387.jpg

The white "btw the lights not centered ha ha my b"

Snapchat-854697572.jpg

Finally the blue light or purple im color blind so some colors are hard for me to tell the difference.

So as of right now I do not have any other gear on order. Currently still in the research phase and planning. Here is some of the equipment I am looking at.
  • UV Sterilizers "apparently Innovative Marine makes a uv filter that you can use to replace a filter sock in the back and it works that way. I have no idea if its worth it but its 50 dollars its a maybe ha ha."
  • Jebao programmable dosing pump DP-4, great price and great reviews might flip a coin if i want to get it.
  • And last but not least the "innovative marine mini-max pro series media reactor" again ive heard good things about it and ive seen some other people using it and they said they liked it. Sooooooooooo most likely will get.

So this is the update for today when I order some new stuff Ill let you all know and always!!!

-Happy reefing :)

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great tank I have the same exact tank in my room and couldn’t be happier with it. Very easy to maintain.

image.jpg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks I just do water changes every other week and it stays exactly how I like it. Love the lay out of the tank as well. Did you buy it new or used? I’ve seen these tanks come in a pro version now with a controller return pump.

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I just do water changes every other week and it stays exactly how I like it. Love the lay out of the tank as well. Did you buy it new or used? I’ve seen these tanks come in a pro version now with a controller return pump.
I bought it brand new from I.M, I have the pump controller I just haven't set it up yet.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought it brand new from I.M, I have the pump controller I just haven't set it up yet.
Awesome so I believe you got a media tray as well. Mine just came with the 2 socks on each side!

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome so I believe you got a media tray as well. Mine just came with the 2 socks on each side!
Yup I got one media tray and a filter sock, I might try the sock but idk how I feel about them. I have never used them as a form of mechanical filtration so hopefully there worth all the hype!

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup I got one media tray and a filter sock, I might try the sock but idk how I feel about them. I have never used them as a form of mechanical filtration so hopefully there worth all the hype!
I’m not a huge fan of socks either. I mainly use filter floss easier to throw away and add new than to clean a sock!

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I am terribly sorry about no updates and pictures about the tank but dont worry I havent forgotten yall. Due to this Covid-19 times are hard and well I have some matters to fix and attend to. So sadly the tank has been put on the back burner. But as soon as I order anything else I will update you all ASAP ROCKY and also

-HAPPY REEFING :)

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELLO EVERYBODYYYYYYYY! so im very sorry about not updating about the build. I had to move around alot and finally got moved into my small apartment. These pictures are for the stand. Im not much of a wood building guy, "tbh im a die hard car guy"but my dad has been helping me out. Im going to start wood staining it tomorrow and I will post those pictures as well! Thanks yall and have a great day and always

20200817_152644.jpg 20200817_113611.jpg

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here we have the COMPLETED stand. Its all stained and ready to go. I had to design it so i could take it apart to fit in my car. Note to self dont buy a challenger if your into fish tanks. Sooo little room its ridiculous haha. But when I get home ill set it up again and post pictures with the tank.

parts used were:
-ALOT of 2x4's haha
- 12" curtain rods
and well curtains lol

I am fairly certain that this stand is strong enough to hold up a little 25 gallon tank. After all my 75 gallon was held up buy about 6 pieces of mdf board.

Let me know what you all think and always

HAPPY REEFING :)

20200820_123828.jpg

OP
OP
Caleb M

Caleb M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: So i got the stand rebuilt and the tank on and well all sorts of stuff.

-Innovative marine has a ghost skimmer that fits inside the back, I went to a local LFS a couple days ago to find a protein skimmer and the first one I bought was the Coral life Bio-cube one. It almost fit just barley fit I was a little urked but thankfully the store was able to refund me anddddddd they had the IM skimmer in stock, it was the last one and the manager gave me a HUGE discount on it like about 60 dollars off haha. I said yes way to fast but happy I did it.

- I got about 25 lbs of dry rock, Im not a big fan of paying 15 dollars a lb for a rock with the beneficial bacteria cause well the cost and possible hitchhikers. I've had terrible luck with those in the past. Like I bought just a little 3 lb rock and BOOM various little critters. soooo nope haha

-Last and not least bought a bag of live sand Fuji Pink not to small of a grain and not to big, like the Goldilocks of sand imo.

-But anyways ive started the cycle a few days ago and slowly raising the salinity. The parameters are slowly getting to safe levels. I plan on adding my fish in about a week or 2. Its all tank level dependent but looking forward to it. IE not rushing into it.

Here is the stock list that im thinking of:
2x Black and white clown-fish
1x Mandarin goby "my lfs has some that eat pellets and live cope-pods BIG win for sure"
2x fire-fish gobys "Ill do some more research if there safe to have with the mandarin"

Now this list isn't certain, I know I dont have a lot of room to play with but its gonna change, Id love some feedback with what fish you guys might think would do good. But the corals im looking at starting with are gonna be zoanthids, I have heard great things that they are great for beginners so starting with those! anyways thats all for today and always

20200829_223330.jpg 20200829_223324.jpg 20200826_215609.jpg

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump the salinity up to 1.025 or 1.026 right now. No need to do it slowly. In fact you won't grow the bacteria you want til it's at the proper level.

Save a couple bucks and try the kamoer x1 when it's doser time. I have three running. Love them. That interface of the jeabo scared me away from it, as it was my first option

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back