First clownfish buying advice

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! As title says, I’m looking at buying my very first clownfish pair to add to a tank! I know it’s good to get clowns that have already mated, or if not to get two of equal of equal size, or one slightly bigger??

but really, I’d like to know upon buying a pair, what are the best things to ask the petshop/breeder, and any visual or behavioural things to look for with the clowns?

regards, yanni!

bark1ngspider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for any diseases, brook, ich velvet, and white stringy pop. Brook will looks like a slime coat on the clown and ich is spot...flukes is hard to see unless u frshwater dip...I would try to get a mated pair and look at the tanks aggression at the store...ideally you want one smaller clown (male) and one larger (female) sometimes u get lucky and they will mate but sometimes not..

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine out a tank of about 4 juveniles. I just took the smallest one and the biggest one. He submitted immediately and they snuggle together at night now. It’s adorable tbh

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they dont have to be mated already, you can buy 2 juveniles that are the same size. they start as males then one switches sex later on.

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh okay, should they be super eager to eat etc? Or is there any feeding behaviours to look out for as well besides not eating?
as far as eating, that's really the only sign that signals illness. my fish can have a full belly and they might not even eat, but they will still get excited and wait for the food to fall LOL. if they fish isn't responding at all it's probably sick.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are the best saltwater fish ever. They come in many different varieties, super easy to care for.
As previously said, ask to see them eat. Try and choose two where one is at least slightly larger than the other. Ask if the fish were quarantined (even though you should quarantine either way), ask where they came from, make sure they were captive bred, ask what foods they would recommend for the clowns. Also try and pick the healthiest ones; I personally wouldnt buy fish from a tank/system where there is a/multiple dead or sick fish.

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a note, if you want to add any other fish to the system, I suggest adding the clowns last. They're very rude.
I added mine first and they are super friendly with their new tank mates. during the day,the female hangs out more with the new goby than her mate.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added mine first and they are super friendly with their new tank mates. during the day,the female hangs out more with the new goby than her mate.
I got my clowns as my first ever fish, wasnt planning on adding anything else, wasnt even planning on get a CUC. Then I did. Then got obsessed with reef tanks. And then got some corals. Recently got a bicolor blenny, the clowns love him.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same, all my other fish are more aggressive than my clowns

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

They’re funny little fish, such crazy personalities

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my clowns as my first ever fish, wasnt planning on adding anything else, wasnt even planning on get a CUC. Then I did. Then got obsessed with reef tanks. And then got some corals. Recently got a bicolor blenny, the clowns love him.
A few people are lucky like that. Others have fish that end up being bullies, or downright aggressive.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a a pair or tomato/maroon clowns in my 120 (that are about 15+ years old) and the only time they get aggressive is when there's eggs on rocks near nems. They will bully a 6" foxface when there's eggs present.
In my 65 I have a pair of gold nugget clowns who only get aggressive when I take to scraping the glass, they go ballistic towards the scraper.

Back