First coral, confused about feeding.

Squeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first coral from my LFS, a bright green Ricordea. The guys at the shop said that it doesn’t need anything added to the tank, just stable parameters.
I’ve read many different things about this, and am starting to get confused. What is everyone’s experiences with keeping these healthy and happy?

99774E89-DBC6-4D26-BF74-7A025A692321.jpeg

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ricordea yuma or florida? With most photosynthetic coral feeding is definitely optional, but they will benefit from the occasional feeding as they will have more energy to split and grow.

OP
OP
Squeven

Squeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ricordea yuma or florida? With most photosynthetic coral feeding is definitely optional, but they will benefit from the occasional feeding as they will have more energy to split and grow.
It’s Ricordea Florida I believe.

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s Ricordea Florida I believe.
I have some fl. Ricordea and I think I've fed them twice in the time I've had them. You won't have to feed but they most certainly will do a lot better if you feed occasionally

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some coral don't need much to survive. They get their food/energy from the lighting that you have over the tank. Mushrooms are pretty easy going and don't need much to get by. Though they will benefit from some type of feeding (Reef Roids, Red Sea AB+, coral pellets, etc..)

Some corals like Chalice, Acans, Bowerbanki, Scolymia will absolutely benefit from regular feedings. Improved growth, sometimes better color. On top of getting energy from your lights.

Stable parameters are key to happy and healthy coral.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back