First coral. Suggestions? What was your first and how did it go?

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RSM Nano is about ready for coral. I have read/watched enough to see the general suggestions for beginner corals. Of those suggested, I like Euphyllia, Duncans, and Zoas the most.

Others that get listed grow/spead like weeds, get too big, or are... boring.

What do you all think is the best first coral?

What did you start with and how did it go?

Thanks and wish me luck!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm newish also -- started with a couple of cheap zoas in early 1/2022.
They've done great in my tank (and all others added) although I wouldn't call it "spreading like weeds."
Added a couple of ricordea mushrooms about 1.5 months ago and they seem to be doing well also (so far).

I've purposely slowed down on my water changes, as in about monthly instead of every 2 weeks, and I feel like the soft corals are growing faster but take that as anecdotal.

I run NO3 around 8-10 ppm and wish I could get PO4 above 0.02 ppm but that's a different struggle.

EDIT -- my suggested answer to which to start with are zoanthids and ricordea,,, by the way

Upvote 0

subaru watxher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started out with fish and coral on the same day after i finished my one month cycle with a 2 headed western Australian green hammer coral and it did just fine and still is 9 months later (at about 4 heads now)

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RSM Nano is about ready for coral. I have read/watched enough to see the general suggestions for beginner corals. Of those suggested, I like Euphyllia, Duncans, and Zoas the most.

Others that get listed grow/spead like weeds, get too big, or are... boring.

What do you all think is the best first coral?

What did you start with and how did it go?

Thanks and wish me luck!

Most Zoas are pretty resilient. If you find one you really like, I wouldn't hesitate to snag it.

To be honest, as long as you have the right lighting, flow and water conditions, You can go with just about anything that catches your eye.

My first corals came as a "Beginner pack" I got off of Ebay. GSP, Pulsing Xenia, Trumpet, and a few others. Of those, I still have a few left. Couple of them were eaten or I removed them and donated to the LFS.

As long as you keep your system stable, you should be fine with just about anything you put in.

Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly recommend against getting LPS for your first corals. I would start with some softies, and once you’ve kept them alive and growing for several months, then try some LPS (though I would not choose a Euphyllia as your first LPS, they can be very finicky, wait until you’re comfortable and experienced in keeping your Alkalinity stable and nutrients stable). For soft corals, I would start with some mushrooms, zoas, leathers, or clove polyps. And then for LPS I’d start with some Duncans, Acans (Micromussa), blastomussa, Favias (there are no true Favias in the hobby, but that’s what they’re sold as), or Lobophyllia.

Upvote 0

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing my memory but I'm going to say my first coral was probably a Duncanopsammia. I can't remember how long I had it (maybe 2 years) and it grew a lot in that time. I think it is a perfect starter coral.

Upvote 0

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just added my first corals to my tank. I did a frammer, an octospawn and a ricordia mushroom. The frammer bailed out pretty quick. I have no idea why he was so unhappy because the octo looks so healthy and happy.
I think if you like eiphillia then get an octo. I bought a torch, 2 montipora and an acro a couple days ago to really test the waters haha

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ABQ_CHRIS

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with some zoas, mushrooms, or sinularia to start out with. I would wait to add LPS until the tank has been up for at least a couple months.
Others agree and Zoas are a front runner.
I'm newish also -- started with a couple of cheap zoas in early 1/2022.
They've done great in my tank (and all others added) although I wouldn't call it "spreading like weeds."
Added a couple of ricordea mushrooms about 1.5 months ago and they seem to be doing well also (so far).

I've purposely slowed down on my water changes, as in about monthly instead of every 2 weeks, and I feel like the soft corals are growing faster but take that as anecdotal.

I run NO3 around 8-10 ppm and wish I could get PO4 above 0.02 ppm but that's a different struggle.

EDIT -- my suggested answer to which to start with are zoanthids and ricordea,,, by the way
Sound advice, I think.
i started out with fish and coral on the same day after i finished my one month cycle with a 2 headed western Australian green hammer coral and it did just fine and still is 9 months later (at about 4 heads now)
You must have a good touch.
Most Zoas are pretty resilient. If you find one you really like, I wouldn't hesitate to snag it.

To be honest, as long as you have the right lighting, flow and water conditions, You can go with just about anything that catches your eye.

My first corals came as a "Beginner pack" I got off of Ebay. GSP, Pulsing Xenia, Trumpet, and a few others. Of those, I still have a few left. Couple of them were eaten or I removed them and donated to the LFS.

As long as you keep your system stable, you should be fine with just about anything you put in.
Glad there is hope!
I would strongly recommend against getting LPS for your first corals. I would start with some softies, and once you’ve kept them alive and growing for several months, then try some LPS (though I would not choose a Euphyllia as your first LPS, they can be very finicky, wait until you’re comfortable and experienced in keeping your Alkalinity stable and nutrients stable). For soft corals, I would start with some mushrooms, zoas, leathers, or clove polyps. And then for LPS I’d start with some Duncans, Acans (Micromussa), blastomussa, Favias (there are no true Favias in the hobby, but that’s what they’re sold as), or Lobophyllia.
Noted, thank you for the caution. I hate killing anything.
Testing my memory but I'm going to say my first coral was probably a Duncanopsammia. I can't remember how long I had it (maybe 2 years) and it grew a lot in that time. I think it is a perfect starter coral.
Nice.
I just added my first corals to my tank. I did a frammer, an octospawn and a ricordia mushroom. The frammer bailed out pretty quick. I have no idea why he was so unhappy because the octo looks so healthy and happy.
I think if you like eiphillia then get an octo. I bought a torch, 2 montipora and an acro a couple days ago to really test the waters haha
Bummer on the frammer. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ABQ_CHRIS

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220712_130540.jpg

Mostly like this only with more fish and algae now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ABQ_CHRIS

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's a little more lived in now, but the bones are the same.

Trying to avoid the uglies. My conch and Court Jester Goby work pretty tirelessly.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back