First Corals

C20MSY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Following advice from my previous post I took the plunge and bought my first reef tank - a Red Sea 200XL Deluxe. It’s setup and running nicely. Got a pair of clowns who seem to have settled in well and are hopeful enjoying their new home: can’t wait to get a bubble tip anemone to host them!!!!
So I’ve ordered some corals of eBay - a few different types of zoas, a GSP frag and a Duncan - and they should be arriving in a few days. Have watched a fair few YouTube videos about introducing them. My question is what setting should I have my light on? 15, 20 or 23K and how much blue and white light? It‘s currently off in order to avoid algae build up. I’m way more excited than I should be about the corals arriving! My wife thinks I’m like a kid at Christmas!
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things ........

Welcome to this great hobby where any rewards are only seen years after starting .
Not sure where you’re from but preying corals arrive in good shape from
eBay , during a pandemic and in the winter .
doesn’t sound good at all and hope they arrive soon .
I’d personally advise against a anemone right now and let your system mature before adding it .

have you purchased test kits to assure the parameters is stable ?

a good quality test kit including
Alk , cal , ph , mag , nitrate , phosphate ,

there should be 0ppm ammonia which after cycled and adding clownfish I’m sure you’re aware already .
Do you have a sand bed .
how deep , did you add live rocks or dry ?

placement depends on flow and lighting .
Always start and place everything at the bottom , gradually move higher for more light .

Back