First corals

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I was wondering what you would consider to be a good first coral to add to a tank. My tank is a month old and I plan on adding corals in a month or 2 so I’m planning ahead. It is a 120 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump with Reefbreeder photon v2 lights and 2mp40s and 2 tunze power heads for flow. While this is my first tank, I don’t want to get the typical beginner corals like gsp, mushrooms, leathers and Xenia. I am mostly interested in acans and sps. I was wondering if acans would be a good first addition to a tank? I plan on having this tank mixed reef, acans at the sandbed, maybe an euphullias garden and sps near the top

342BDA9A-96BC-4EE4-A97D-DDDC6626DD75.jpeg E90ABA1F-B9AC-4E4B-AFFF-9F796307B6B7.jpeg 9349300A-4902-4280-96D2-8052DEE97972.jpeg

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your tank being so young I’d recommend finding some LPS you like that are cheap to test the waters. If your parameters are good throw them in, if they do well then slowly add more.

Wait 6 months or so then then start with SPS. Things like Montipora and Birdnest are generally recommended as entry corals to SPS.

OP
OP
Jimmylinny

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was planning on getting a couple 20-40 dollar acan frags and see how they do. Not adding them anytime soon, waiting a few more months, just getting some ideas right now. I plan on using two kamoer pumps and dosing brs 2 part
With your tank being so young I’d recommend finding some LPS you like that are cheap to test the waters. If your parameters are good throw them in, if they do well then slowly add more.

Wait 6 months or so then then start with SPS. Things like Montipora and Birdnest are generally recommended as entry corals to SPS.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back