First DIY idea/project

ngarcia11892

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so sense my display is empty except for inverts and coral I thought this would be the right time to attempt something like this, I want a skimmer and I heard you need a constant water level but my sump as one chamber and a little container thing for bioballs/rock rubble so evaporation changes the water level constantly. My first question is would baffles help solve this problem? How far away from the pumP would they Need to be because it's small and I'm even debating whether a sump would fit. My other idea is getting a 20 gallon I havE and drilling and puttin a bulkhead on either side connecting it to where he pump is now on my sump and putting the pump on the over side of the 20 and using the 20 as a skimmer chamber and refugium. Sorry for the wall of text but I'm completly new at DIY maybe there is something else I can try?

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do that, but all the bubbles from your overflow to your sump could cause your skimmer to do some wild things. I would just use the 20 gallon like you suggested, you do not even need to drill it. Baffles are simple, if you have a baffle going from the bottom up, that will be the height of that chamber, as long as the next baffle is lower, just think of the flow of water and how it runs. In regards to your return pump as long as it fits in there your good to go. Sumps are very easy to make, it seems much more confusing than it is, but once you understand it you will realize it is very simple, and much worth the effort. Just remember, if you do build it yourself, use either glass to glass, or acrylic to acrylic, do not mix the two. Acrylic absorbs water and will eventually crack the glass.

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just have the overflow drain into the top of the aquarium, and have your return line, go up. I mean it will not look as clean, but i think it is better than taking a chance with drilling a tank. But if your confident in drilling then by all means.

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drill it. It is cake. I was worried myself but ordered a diamond bit on ebay and a got a 20L from a reefer. I set it up and it was a piece of cake. I wouldnt be afraid of drilling something like a 20L.

OP
OP
N

ngarcia11892

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh the reason the overflow wouldnt work is i want my sump now to stay so i would just connect the two itll give me more water anyway, although id still rather just put baffles if i have the room

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back