First MACNA - Questions

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, this is my first MACNA and I have to admit I'm very excited.

I do have a few questions.
Is there a dress code or expected attire for the Friday reception or Saturday banquet?

How far in advance do you need to get into the lecture area to make sure you get a spot or will it be big enough for everyone interested?

I've heard there are a lot of "after hours" activities, is there a good way to find out more information on these?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later.....

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my last Macna was Dallas years ago.
Speaker rooms were special tickets.
exhibit tickets did not get you into speakers rooms.
But they are usually packed.
No dress code.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaker rooms were special tickets.
exhibit tickets did not get you into speakers rooms.
Are these tickets first come first serve to those with the full MACNA pass?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these tickets first come first serve to those with the full MACNA pass?

They only sell so many plus a few more because of space in speaker rooms.
Usually there is enough room for everyone because not all pass holders will make to all the scheduled speakers. Most people are on the exhibit floor.
Yes the speaker rooms are first come first serve basis for pass or ticket holders that have that privilege.
Most people buy exhibit floor tickets for like $20 per day, or $35 per day which has access to speakers.

Last edited:

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 and @BlueDamselReef Glad you are going to MACNA, I bet you will like it!

The full conference and weekend passes include access to the talks and workshops. There are two different types of single day passes, one that includes access to the talks and workshops and the other is only for access to the exhibit floor. Depending on the size of the conference rooms some of the talks end up being standing room only, so make sure to show up at least a little bit in advance.

There's no dress code for the reception or banquet, some people take the opportunity to dress up for the occasion but for most people it's just come as you are.

Make sure to download the MACNA 2019 app on your phone, it will always have the most up-to-date schedule, info, and announcements.

I'll probably be working the registration desk most of the time, make sure to stop by and say hello!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 and @BlueDamselReef Glad you are going to MACNA, I bet you will like it!

The full conference and weekend passes include access to the talks and workshops. There are two different types of single day passes, one that includes access to the talks and workshops and the other is only for access to the exhibit floor. Depending on the size of the conference rooms some of the talks end up being standing room only, so make sure to show up at least a little bit in advance.

There's no dress code for the reception or banquet, some people take the opportunity to dress up for the occasion but for most people it's just come as you are.

Make sure to download the MACNA 2019 app on your phone, it will always have the most up-to-date schedule, info, and announcements.

I'll probably be working the registration desk most of the time, make sure to stop by and say hello!
Thanks for the info. I keep forgetting about the app so I appreciate the reminder!

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know there was an app!

I realized it had been mentioned in various emailings but wasn't actually mentioned on the website - but now it is:

MACNA-2019-app-QR.png

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dress code there use to be years ago for the banquet but the world is causal now.
Speaker rooms are quite large and I have never seen them full like the use to be years ago when everyone was there for knowledge and not standing around looking at all the new equipment like they do today.
You will get a badge which will let you in the speaker rooms as some people just buy day passes for the vendor room only.
The important thing to do is to talk to people say hi and talk to everyone. That’s why everyone is there reef talk 24/7 for 4 days. You will not be boring anyone like you do your family and non aquarium friends. You are in a aquarium talk zone enjoy yourself.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What about the Apex users meetup on Friday? I already have a full one day pass and pre-registered for the Apex meet up at 7:30 am. Is their anything else that is needed to go to this workshop?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the Apex users meetup on Friday?

The Apex meetup is a Neptune Systems thing, and they handle all the registration, so if you have already signed up with them I think you're all set.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can sign up here
If you haven’t sign up yet

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first reefing convention ever. Therefore forgive me if this seems like a dumb question.

I will most likely (SURE BET) be buying some coral there. Will there be a way to have it shipped home so I don't have to try to keep it alive in my hotel room and during the trip home? I also don't want to have to pack containers to bring with me as well.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first reefing convention ever.

Glad you are coming, I bet you will have a great time!

Will there be a way to have it shipped home so I don't have to try to keep it alive in my hotel room and during the trip home? I also don't want to have to pack containers to bring with me as well.

Pretty sure all the hotels that recent MACNAs have been at have a Fedex or UPS shipping desk, so that's probably worth asking the hotel about. I'd be surprised if any of the coral vendors will do the shipping for you, but it can't hurt to ask. Probably all of them will hold stuff at least until the end of the day, and some or most might be willing to hold stuff until the end of the conference (again, can't hurt to ask). I've brought stuff home before and was able to round up insulated boxes that exhibitors had used to bring stuff for their booths and were just going to get rid of otherwise, then taped them up well and packed them in my checked bags. If you have to keep anything overnight it's not that different than getting stuff shipped overnight, one year I bought a couple clams and just kept them in the hotel room with the bags opened so they got some oxygen and with the room temp cranked up to 78. You can also use any sort of watertight container to bring as a carry-on too, a lot of people like the ones from BAO (both insulated and not insulated): https://buildinganobsession.com/shop

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real easy get the BOA containers. Most coral vendors will set the corals to the rear of the displays. An then just place them in the containers when you leave. TSA will see a lot of these coming thru the inspection line so it works great. No need to ship them really. I have brought corals home from San Diego.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back