OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it planted itself? I've read of them shedding tentacles before. If it appears to deteriorate remove it fast but if it's holding onto the rock just give it time and watch closely IMO
I'm not sure I want to try and disturb it to see if it's attached ?
The foot near the rock doesn't appear to have the mucus looking stuff on it, but not entirely sure it's attached yet without disturbing it. I'm not noticing any movement with it either other than the tentacle moving but that could just be the weak flow around it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it recovers. Is it still upside down? A healthy bta should attach relatively quickly, like less than an hour typically. If its turning to mush and breaking down, remove it. If it's still firm, make sure its upright at least.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly can't tell what it's doing right now.
Checking it this morning it still appears to be in the same position etc as the photo. Do I touch it to see if it's attached ?
Seems the last visible bright tentacle has disappeared too.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can touch it. It looks upside down in your most recent pics.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can touch it. It looks upside down in your most recent pics.

Yeah completely dead.
it disintegrated in my hand, was only 'attached' because it has disintegrated into the rockwork. Stuck like anything once I pulled it out... :(
So disappointed. That thing had such amazing colours, let alone cost heaps and it just went to mush within days...

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah completely dead.
it disintegrated in my hand, was only 'attached' because it has disintegrated into the rockwork. Stuck like anything once I pulled it out... :(
So disappointed. That thing had such amazing colours, let alone cost heaps and it just went to mush within days...
water changes!

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah completely dead.
I'm sorry. Also. It's terrible to lose such a beautiful animal. Once you get the tank clean I would re examine flow. Lighting and parameters. Stability seems to be the most key element to their success . It also is possible It was doomed to no fault of your own. But still, for piece of mind. Good luck on the next one and tag me when you try again, I'd like to see a success story next time

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry. Also. It's terrible to lose such a beautiful animal. Once you get the tank clean I would re examine flow. Lighting and parameters. Stability seems to be the most key element to their success . It also is possible It was doomed to no fault of your own. But still, for piece of mind. Good luck on the next one and tag me when you try again, I'd like to see a success story next time

Thanks for your advice.
Will continue to monitor, wont be able to WC until later tonight.
Hopefully skimmer/carbon can pull any toxins etc out in the mean time.

Parameters were good when it went in etc, not entirely sure the nem was a 'good' one.
Didn't get a chance to see it at the LFS untouched as they went to another tank to look for one as the one I was looking at was sold already and I was just excited they had another one tucked away somewhere, there were comments around 'this one looks ok', ' this one doesn't look good' or to that effect when they were fishing it out etc, so I'm not entirely sure it was a super happy/healthy/stress free one in the first instance.

Fingers crossed on the next one..
Who knows when that'll be!

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, looks like I'm trying my hand at another nem quicker than I expected!

Went back to the LFS today and explained what happened. They offered to replace as one guy mentioned that the nems in the tank mine came out of were a little stressed because they'd been moved etc recently, plus they'd just had another batch come through this week so was very lucky!

This is the new guy. It already looks much better than the previous one ever did.
I'm attempting to the glass pot again, however this time I've placed it in a higher flow area, and added a bit of rock that I smashed off another piece I'd kept on hand. This way it's lifted up a bit so if there is any waste/goo etc and it's not getting enough flow to get it out, I'll be able to see it and adjust before the nem is sitting in it, plus hopefully the rock will provide a better surface for it to grab hold of and by lifting it up, it should get a little more flow than being hidden down in the guts of the pot.

20210815_163627.jpg

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked on it this morning and seems to be doing alright.
Has gripped onto the rock in the pot now and has moved around a bit in the pot. When I saw it this morning it had moved itself around the side of the rock and is half underneath it, it's also lost it's bubbles but I read that it's pretty normal for BTA's to bubble/deflate etc but the tentacles etc still look good.

Will continue to monitor and chuck up another picture or two tonight.
Want to get it to settle in where it is. Will potentially look at putting it on the rockwork in the main tank but not sure yet. Will aim for an area with not many corals nearby as I'd like to keep everything happy that I've got in there hopefully lol.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting strategy to get it out if the glass. When I introduced my nem I just massaged it off of the cup, held it in my hand and then placed on my rock. Hope you have more success with this little dude!

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting strategy to get it out if the glass. When I introduced my nem I just massaged it off of the cup, held it in my hand and then placed on my rock. Hope you have more success with this little dude!
Thanks, I hope so too!
Wasn't more a strategy of getting it out of the glass, more so that I didn't want to sit in it's own muck after seeing what the last one did. Although the LFS did say they have lots of clients who use the glass pots to keep their nems separate from the rest of the tank to protect the corals, just wasn't too confident, hence adding the rock to raise it a little (plus give it a porous surface to grip onto). Should work well though if I do need/want to move it as you've noted, just take the rock out and place it on the main rock in the display and it can move itself off/around.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back