First night with SW tank

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching SW tanks for over two years and this may sound weird, but one thing I have looked forward to is nighttime. In my FW tanks I have never had livestock (other than snails) that behaves so much differently at night than during the day.

I have a small holding tank set up and cycled while I finish building my DT and sump. I added some corals (my first corals ever) and 5 Blue/Green Chromis yesterday.

The corals (Zoas, Hammers, and a blastomussa) began to open yesterday, but today opened much more and the Chromis attacked their meal today.

About two hours after lights out I had to go into that room and when I turned on the lights I saw no fish and all the corals were almost completely closed. For a hot minute I thought everything was dead.

Then a chromis slipped out under a rock and I realized my "reef" was sleeping. It was behaving like a reef should behave.

Kind of a weird "proud" moment, but it was the first moment in which I realized that I can do this.

It was my first "proud reefer" moment.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
. . . It was behaving like a reef should behave.

Kind of a weird "proud" moment, but it was the first moment in which I realized that I can do this.

Worth being proud!

OtterProud.gif

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! There will be many more moments like this...and some that are a challenge, but it's all worth it.

Wait a while when your tank gets more mature there will be a "night crew" that get's active when the lights go out. Get a red flashlight to view the night critters without disturbing them. Most of my snails come out at night as will as lots of other critters. I have a turbo snail as big as my fist and for the life of me I can't find him during the day but look at the tank after lights out and you will see him every night.

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching SW tanks for over two years and this may sound weird, but one thing I have looked forward to is nighttime. In my FW tanks I have never had livestock (other than snails) that behaves so much differently at night than during the day.

I have a small holding tank set up and cycled while I finish building my DT and sump. I added some corals (my first corals ever) and 5 Blue/Green Chromis yesterday.

The corals (Zoas, Hammers, and a blastomussa) began to open yesterday, but today opened much more and the Chromis attacked their meal today.

About two hours after lights out I had to go into that room and when I turned on the lights I saw no fish and all the corals were almost completely closed. For a hot minute I thought everything was dead.

Then a chromis slipped out under a rock and I realized my "reef" was sleeping. It was behaving like a reef should behave.

I had the same heart fluttered panic. I was thinking crap what did I do wrong. Now I come to the aquarium, the fish come to the glass looking for food. I still am nervous.

OP
OP
PaulPerger

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Everyone! This morning when I turned on the lights, two of the five Chromis came right out to say good morning... I can't wait to get home tonight and see everything out and open again... Tonight I am going to target feed the corals after I feed the Chromis. It's frozen food day!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As time goes by, you'll be up sometimes 2 in the morning taking pictures, you'll see. LOL

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night viewing is my favorite part of my reef. As the rank matures it gets better and better and better.

Get a red light to see things without spooking them.

Welcome aboard!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back