First Post: 40g Cube with 20g Frag

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, this is my first post on here and I had a few questions for my new build. I’m not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread so my apologies in advanced.

The Build:
I have built a 4’x32”x2’ stand. On top of the stand I have a 40g Cube tank (21”x”21”x21”) as well as a 20g frag (21”x21”x10”). Both of these tanks will be plumbed into a Bashea Bio-Fuge Sump.

Equipment:
40 Gallon:
Light: Viparspectra 165w Blackbox LED
Pump 1: Ecotech MP10
Pump 2: Icecap Gyre 1k
20 Gallon Frag:
Light: Viparspectra 165x Blackbox LED
Pump: Icecap Gyre 1k
In Sump:
Skimmer: Skimz Kone SK181
Heater: Finnex 150w w/ Controller (x2)
Return Pump: Hydor 750gph AC Controllable

The 40g is currently up and running by itself at my old house. The frag tank is currently plumbed into the sump and is slowly being filled with RODI. My plan is to get the frag tank and sump running, transfer all fish and coral into that, and then add the 40g to the system.

Questions:
1. When should I add my macro algae to the refugium?
2. I plan to add bacteria from a bottle as I have run out of time to do a natural cycle. Because there is no biological media (since it’s the frag tank and there is nothing but a frag rack) will I be able to do this? Should I add Bio Bricks to the bottom of the refugium? (When the 40g is added there will be 40-50lbs of rock in there as well as a thin layer of sand)
3. Is there anything that I have not accounted for that I should be?

bearsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I would focus on cycling the tank first and then build the bio-load before adding macro algae. I’m sure others will jump in soon to add their insights and recommendations.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You'll want to wait until after the tank is fully cycled to add any macro otherwise it may prolong your cycle. When you say you've run out of time to do a natural cycle what does that mean? Adding a bottle of bacteria will definitely help, but you'll still want to let the tank fully cycle
source.gif

OP
OP
Black Dog Reefing

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I would focus on cycling the tank first and then build the bio-load before adding macro algae. I’m sure others will jump in soon to add their insights and recommendations.
Thats what I was thinking, but here’s the issue. After work today I will added the rest of the water and salt. The new owners of my old house take possession in two days which means I have to move everything tomorrow. Will this be doable?

OP
OP
Black Dog Reefing

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You'll want to wait until after the tank is fully cycled to add any macro otherwise it may prolong your cycle. When you say you've run out of time to do a natural cycle what does that mean? Adding a bottle of bacteria will definitely help, but you'll still want to let the tank fully cycle
source.gif
The tank will be wet tonight, but everything must be moved by tomorrow night ;Nailbiting

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't follow at first, but now I think I get it. You are moving your 40g from your old house to your new house, and doing it in stages. First you are getting a 20g frag tank and a sump going in your new house, and then you are moving the livestock from the old house in the 40g to the 20g frag tank. Right?

Why not just move the 40g with the livestock?

OP
OP
Black Dog Reefing

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't follow at first, but now I think I get it. You are moving your 40g from your old house to your new house, and doing it in stages. First you are getting a 20g frag tank and a sump going in your new house, and then you are moving the livestock from the old house in the 40g to the 20g frag tank. Right?

Why not just move the 40g with the livestock?
Yep that’s exactly what Im doing. i have to empty the tank because I have to drill it and was planning on redoing the rock scape anyways.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back