First Post, loud overflow

Jillianh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Following along with other, but this is my first post. I am in the process of setting up a Fiji Cube 48 with an internal overflow. This is not my first tank, but first tank with a sump, and I am a bit lost. I have all the plumbing done (thanks certain_code) but the overflow is super loud and gurgly. It has a Herbie style overflow with with 1” drains and 3/4” return plumbing. For a return pump I have a varios 2. My water level is approx 1 -7/16” from the top. It seems like the overflow box should have more water in it so that I don’t get all the noise of the water going through the weirs and then falling to the bottoms of the overflow, but when I add more water the sump just fills up. Am I not running my pump high enough? It’s set on the

I have attached pics of the plumbing for reference- the third pic is of the overflow.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I know the water level does not look level, but is just the pic; tank is leveled out.

65D79798-6888-4315-BC3F-A4A9EFB9C2F1.jpeg 97757254-8D17-48E3-830E-0964B85040D7.jpeg B93B3205-8B88-49D9-8C4B-3E0194145072.jpeg

OP
OP
Jillianh

Jillianh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: Running a varioS 2 pump on the first setting. Also-
The e drain pipe sits just below the return “T” and for the main overflow I used the FC supplied drain (weir cap) on the bulkhead- so it sits just a couple of inches off the main drain hole- there is no actual drain pipe.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My memory of the herbie style is that it has one uptake and two drains .on the drains , one should be low and the other higher at the water line in the overflow chamber at the level just under where the water comes in from the weirs . On the lowest drain you should have a shut off valve that you can close and adjust the water level in the over flow which should be at level to the second drain near the top with having the water slightly trickling in . In this manner you shouldn’t have much water sound let alone gurgling .its all about closing the lower drain to adjust the level in the return . Hope this helps .

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My memory of the herbie style is that it has one uptake and two drains .on the drains , one should be low and the other higher at the water line in the overflow chamber at the level just under where the water comes in from the weirs . On the lowest drain you should have a shut off valve that you can close and adjust the water level in the over flow which should be at level to the second drain near the top with having the water slightly trickling in . In this manner you shouldn’t have much water sound let alone gurgling .its all about closing the lower drain to adjust the level in the return . Hope this helps .
Exactly this.

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you need more water in the overflow box.

Adding water to the sump will not add water to the overflow on its own. You need to either turn up your return flow or adjust your gate valve on the main drain until the box fills up enough to become quiet.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the red knob clockwise until the water in the overflow remains just below the open/emergency drain. It will take some fiddling to get right. You may have to add water as a result.

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As most said, begin to slowly close your gate valve, the level in your over flow will increase. Look to your return section it will lower. Add prepared water as needed. Slowly close gate valve a little more, wait a little while check return, close little more, wait a little while, so on and so on and viola''....problem solved. I always check my sump/return levels every other day or so. You will need to adjust every so often....

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back