First Post! New member, mixed reef tank

Rover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

This is my first time here at Reef 2 Reef. I've been involved in the hobby since 2017, so I am still very fresh to it. I am one of those people that once I get into something I go head over heels into it... I've probably watched easily a hundred hours of videos, read a small libraries worth of articles and forum material, and then realized half of it was outdated by more current information! :D

I have a 75 gallon mixed reef with a sump, with a variety of livestock. Currently my fish are...

1 x Blue eyed Kole Tang
1 x LaMarcks Angelfish
1 x Melanus Wrasse
1 x Chinstrap Jawfish
1 x Sleeper Banded Goby
1 x Rainsford Goby
1 x Yellow Clown Goby
1 x Green Clown Goby
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish
5 x Blue/Green Chromis

That is the final stocking I'm expecting to have in my tank, the only other additions to make are more corals. I have a fair few of those too, but I didn't write down the names as I was getting them... oops... so I don't exactly remember the correct names for them. This is what I've been calling them, and I'll make a thread post later to add more!

Duncans, Elegance Coral, green montipora, green nepthea tree, purple nepthea tree (Thats not the name, but it LOOKS like a purple version of the green nepthea...) two kinds of daisy coral, a few zoanthids of various sorts, ricordia and rhodactics, and a couple SPS from when my local shop had a $5 frag sale.

A few of my coral aren't thriving, but so far none have died. So I'm chalking that to a win!

I've had some hair algae issues lately that are persisting. After going through a variety of forum thoughts on the subject, and a curious test of a treatment of fluconazole, I've determined that its most likely an underlying problem of either phosphate leaching from the rock, or I'm overfeeding. Currently cutting feeding back to see if it helps!

Here are some pictures of how it looked recently, and a video I took yesterday of feeding the little critters.

Xq9favB.jpg

7b1mtgP.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Very nice set up, I believe you about your research...not many newbies with two heaters in the sump. Really like your aquascape!

That hair algae is ripe for some manual removal. Not much eats it when it's long like that.

OP
OP
Rover

Rover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the warm welcomes!

Welcome to R2R! Very nice set up, I believe you about your research...not many newbies with two heaters in the sump. Really like your aquascape!

That hair algae is ripe for some manual removal. Not much eats it when it's long like that.

Thanks! I also have it on an inkbird controller to keep them from accidentally cooking :D

I did a fair bit of hair algae removal today. It has a tendency to completely coat my backwalls and overflow if I don't keep up at it, just hoping it eats itself out of whatever is feeding it sooner then later.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back