First QT tank questions...

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just wanted to make sure I have this right. I have ordered some sponge filters, I plan to place one in my cycled display tank for about a month to build bacteria. Then I plan to place it in my QT tank and follow this protocol. I'll also have a HOB filter that I'll just use a sponge in.

Does all that sound good?

Screenshot_20210919-143710_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to cycle sponges longer than a month. It is difficult to know when enough bacteria has colonized on it. Remember, in an established tank, there isn’t a lot of need for new bacteria to grow.
One trick is to run the sponge in a bucket of seawater spiked with ammonium chloride after it has been in a sump for a few weeks, that can really jump start the bacteria.
Jay

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to cycle sponges longer than a month. It is difficult to know when enough bacteria has colonized on it. Remember, in an established tank, there isn’t a lot of need for new bacteria to grow.
One trick is to run the sponge in a bucket of seawater spiked with ammonium chloride after it has been in a sump for a few weeks, that can really jump start the bacteria.
Jay

Jay
K thanks, that's my biggest worry/ concern is when it will be ready to handle and cycle the QT tank

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back