OP
OP
mikemathis555

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gluing rubble pieces together worked for me…just have to be very careful how you attach them and not to mess with them, otherwise it collapses.

Facts for sure…we added several ‘support pieces’ as well. We kept as much of the chunks as large as possible. We certainly wasted a bunch, but we also salvaged quite a bit as well. Some were reused in the tank and some are in the second chamber of my Fluval waiting to be repurposed as frag plugs.

Johnb65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it easy on me…my first reef tank :)

Im only two months in, and started with the standard Fluval EVO 13.5, some live sand and rock. After my cycle added some CUC and my fish (the Royal Gramma didn’t make it unfortunately).

Current livestock;
Darwin Clown (Fishy)
Firefish Goby (Turbo)
Watchman Goby (Rod)
Snails (1xTrochus, 2xAstraea, 4xCerith, 2xNassarius)
*Crazy amounts of Copepods
Assorted Zoa/Paly frags and 1 mushroom

upgrades;
Upgraded Pump (250 gph)
AI HD Prime 16 light
AI Nero 3 powerhead
InTank media basket (section 1)
Tank heater (section 2)

Next will be to create a Zoa garden (open to suggestion but was thinking on some rock rubble I have and placed in middle of sand off main rock structure).

Planning predominantly softies (mushrooms and leathers) along with some LPS (Torches) along the rock arch.

open to suggestion!!!

5B346FE7-A78B-4E78-9571-5A54C00AAE0C.jpeg D18F721C-D11C-42E4-BE32-2D62A4F34FC3.jpeg 23C7C61C-A5EE-426F-A7B5-D5418C1E1034.jpeg B12332F6-3EA5-4F08-9348-DCF955448DDD.jpeg 05184CEE-8983-4DF2-B8C1-17CA4E19CFD6.jpeg
Looks great so far! Which pump did you upgrade to? I ordered the Sicce 1.0 and I couldn’t be more disappointed. It was horrendously loud and even holding it in the tank not touching anything it was the same. I put the stick one back in and the flow is just average which I’m not overly happy with but ok for now.

if I can, tomorrow I’ll try to get my first CUC some snails, just about 3 as I’ve not much to feed on and 1 hermit.

OP
OP
mikemathis555

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great so far! Which pump did you upgrade to? I ordered the Sicce 1.0 and I couldn’t be more disappointed. It was horrendously loud and even holding it in the tank not touching anything it was the same. I put the stick one back in and the flow is just average which I’m not overly happy with but ok for now.

if I can, tomorrow I’ll try to get my first CUC some snails, just about 3 as I’ve not much to feed on and 1 hermit.

Sicce 1.0 is the pump I went with, and I would say my experience is pretty positive. It provides a great amount of flow for the standard return flow for this tank. I added the Nero 3 powerhead to provide better flow patterns.

I did experience noise when I first installed the pump, but realized that it was coming from the cord rattling on the glass rim of the tank. I put a small clamp on the cord to keep it firmly against the glass and now I don’t even hear the pump. Actually, I hear my heater and AI prime light fan more than the pump itself.

I would say if you have plans to keep a successful tank, you’ll need a better pump and flow than what the standard Fluval pump return set up provides.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gone a year+ without anything but the stock pump and return. It’s working pretty great for me, but I’d imagine if I was serious about growing sps it would be harder. Haven’t had my Acro long enough to judge if there is a flow problem with it.

Johnb65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce 1.0 is the pump I went with, and I would say my experience is pretty positive. It provides a great amount of flow for the standard return flow for this tank. I added the Nero 3 powerhead to provide better flow patterns.

I did experience noise when I first installed the pump, but realized that it was coming from the cord rattling on the glass rim of the tank. I put a small clamp on the cord to keep it firmly against the glass and now I don’t even hear the pump. Actually, I hear my heater and AI prime light fan more than the pump itself.

I would say if you have plans to keep a successful tank, you’ll need a better pump and flow than what the standard Fluval pump return set up provides.
Maybe it’s just the one I got off Amazon. I did see a few bad reviews of noise when I went to log it as a return. Could be just that they sell so much, there’s bound to be a few bad eggs.

I’ll maybe try again from a different supplier if I can find with the same pump. I would prefer a stronger one. ✌✌

OP
OP
mikemathis555

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update;

converted 2nd chamber to mini-Refugium by adding Chaetomax light & Chaeto inside inTank chamber 2 kit.

Added additional Dragons breath macro algae inside the display, with some additional growing in Refugium.

Added 2nd clown to the tank, and bonded with existing juvenile clown that was in the tank. Did that by quarantining them together in my small QT.

additional rock structures for more coral room, along with more hiding areas for my watchman goby and Firefish.

DIY frag rack using egg crate & magnet scrapper. Removable, moveable, adjustable…just what I needed.

More coral - Montipora (yes I broke down and got an SPS) to try on the top of the arch way. More Zoas for the Zoa rock. Another Mushroom (big green rhodactis). Some blue paly’s, and some blue center GSP which will eventually be placed on the side/black wall.

Attachments

• 32B60ECB-7466-4E6D-AECA-A65792B83CA5.jpeg
    32B60ECB-7466-4E6D-AECA-A65792B83CA5.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 36

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back