First Reef Tank 1 Year on

Drneil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the comments on the meet thread. I thought I would show the 1 year (well 18 months) progression.

Over four years ago I was lucky enough to visit a friend in Cairns in Queensland and snorkel in the great barrier reef. I decided after many years of keeping freshwater I needed a piece of this in my livingroom and to learn about them.

Two years ago it came to redecorating the livingroom. To go with the new oak fireplace, I selected a solid oak aquarium. Although they did a systemized version with a sump I researched and specced my own tank and sump to go with the oak stand and hood.

March 2018 the stand and tank arrived. Which meant drilling a nice solid oak unit for the pipework :(

20180506_125120.jpg

20180513_134636.jpg

20180513_134640.jpg

May 2018 First fishs purchased and into QT tank
20180526_183532.jpg

Also tank cycling started.
20180528_084221.jpg

Then the pause with the arrival of these two.
20180531_111100.jpg

A number of additional fish were added, PJ cardinals, chromis,bicoloured angel, shrimp and cuc but the tank remained coral free.

20180826_165540.jpg

At the start I knew I would like coral, but didn't know a Soft from SPS. More research with very tired eyes the appeal of LPS was the path I opted to go down.

November 2018
20181109_095106.jpg

Few LPS additions.

This is about the time the battle started with my first GHA outbreak, after a number of weeks I decided a makeshift frag tank in the garage and remove the rocks and scrub the algae. I did conduct water testing but always measured low phosphates and was dosing NOPOX with nitrate at 25. Increasing the NOPOX just lead to white slime. Little did I know the GHA was soaking up the phosphates. Rockwork rearranged a little and some sand removed under advice from a reef friend.

Over the course of time I replaced illuminar v2 light which I bought 2nd hand. Reason was the main white led matrixs were starting to fail. I decided on AI primes and x2 t5 bulbs in a home made frame made. Two reasons for this was I am very restricted in height with the oak hood this option would give me the flexibility to add a few AI primes and since they were also purchased 2nd hand I could replace a failing unit easier than a whole light unit.

I also replaced the Bubble Mag Skimmer with a Quantum. I just got sick of it overflowing and couldn't seem to get a setting that worked. I also added a MP10 to the back of the tank, although not sure if this was required with the gyre. However the gyre is pointing to the surface to help gas exchange as I have cover glass to stop evaporation onto the lights.

1 year in and the second GHA outbreak, which got very bad.

20190919_202210.jpg

This time I was determined to find the source and remove it and allow the tank to clear without removing the rocks.

I believe the main culprit was throwing in mysis frozen cubes. My LFS informed me that they are very high in phosphates. Not something I had ever researched or thought about. It's only a small cube of water afterall.

Approach was to remove the GHA daily by putting a net into the sump and pulling it off the rock in the display. Also added Rhospos to a mini reactor and started dosing vibrant. I can say it's almost gone, but I have had a few coral losses and I'm putting that down to the low phosphates and also that I was dosing kalk but through the doser and did let it go dry a few times so I think I had Alk swings. With the uptake of 0.15dkh a day I didn't think this would be an issue. Some of the corals however are still doing very well.

Snapshot is of today.

20191116_132644.jpg

I will leave it there for now, but I will add equipment list and current husbandry. I also have a few questions I will raise other topics for.

Open to any comments good or bad. I hope in the future it will be a impressive LPS tank with a few SPS corals.

OP
OP
Drneil

Drneil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the tank is about the same age as the twins. So I hope it will grow and develop as they grow and hopefully they will take an interest themselves.

Not sure about removing the large stacked rock in the middle and bringing down to the front left. I know I have a long way to go to fill the tank, but it will allow me to seperate the corals better. No idea about how far I should be keeping them away from each other. I assumed Hammers, Torches and Frogspawn can be kept together. Goni's can be kept together. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
Drneil

Drneil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a follow up.

Current Equipment

Clarisea SK-3000 filter roller (started off manual, but very quickly moved to the automatic) Having to turn it everyday and going through filter rolls quicker.
Nyos Quantum 120 Skimmer
Jebao DCP5000 return pump-
D-D HEating Controller & 200W heater
4 Chanell Wifi doser & x3 1.5 litre container
Jebao CP-40 Wavemaker
Ecotech MP10QT
x3 AI PRIME
IQUATICS x2 T5 COntroller and marine blue tubes
50W grow light.
Seneye Reef

Most equipment controlled with Wifi plugs with current monitoring.

Running Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt
Dosing 4ml of NOPOX
Dosing All for reef 7ml per day
10% water changes weekly, 20% if week is missed.
Sodium Carbonate for Alk adjustments

Parameters
Alk 8.1dkH
Cal 450ppm
Mag 1400ppm

Running Vibrant at the moment in order to reduce the GHA.

Still having an issues with Nutrient export which I think lead to the GHA outbreak. Cheato has struggled to grow in the sump, but I think I need to raise a separate topic on it.

OP
OP
Drneil

Drneil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos of the diy lighting unit.

20191120_220144.jpg

20191120_220215.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back