First Reef Tank - Contemplating a Drastic Move

atnet360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I picked up a used 60 Gallon Cube over the weekend. I’ve been keeping freshwater fish my whole life, but this will be my first shot at salt water.

First order of business though, I HATE the giant overflow box taking up all the room in the tank. I’m very seriously considering cutting it out, plugging the holes in the bottom and replacing it with something like a Fiji Cube low profile overflow.

Thoughts?

IMG_20191111_195026.jpg

IMG_20191111_195022.jpg

My biggest concern is cracking the tank glass while trying to extract the overflow box. Also, I’ve never drilled glass before so I’m a bit apprehensive about that part, but it seems straight forward enough. I’m about 98% sure the back panel is not tempered (I’ve check with polarized glasses and an LCD screen).

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I picked up a used 60 Gallon Cube over the weekend. I’ve been keeping freshwater fish my whole life, but this will be my first shot at salt water.

First order of business though, I HATE the giant overflow box taking up all the room in the tank. I’m very seriously considering cutting it out, plugging the holes in the bottom and replacing it with something like a Fiji Cube low profile overflow.

Thoughts?

My biggest concern is cracking the tank glass while trying to extract the overflow box. Also, I’ve never drilled glass before so I’m a bit apprehensive about that part, but it seems straight forward enough. I’m about 98% sure the back panel is not tempered (I’ve check with polarized glasses and an LCD screen).

First, welcome to R2R!!!

Personally, I would use the tank the way it is currently laid out and wouldn't risk the problems that may come with the mods (yes, I have drilled and modded many tanks). IMO, the second option would be to clean it up, get some good pictures, sell it at a profit, and then buy another tank with the layout that you would prefer. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

#WelcometoR2R

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome to R2R!!!

Personally, I would use the tank the way it is currently laid out and wouldn't risk the problems that may come with the mods (yes, I have drilled and modded many tanks). IMO, the second option would be to clean it up, get some good pictures, sell it at a profit, and then buy another tank with the layout that you would prefer. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

#WelcometoR2R

I agree with P.R. I think it would be a great starter tank without the large investment. You can see if you like SW and it will give you a good idea of what you like and don't like before investing more in this hobby.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the whole back side black?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't argue with expert reefers.
Is that your "dream tank" size?

If that's the tank you want for the next ten years, I'd be more willing to suggest doing what you feel you need to.
Sounds like you got a great deal on it though and it suggs to turn a $200 tank into a $600 tank if it's not gonna be what you want long term regardless.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally not mod it but just cover the overflow box part up with some rocks which later can be covered with corals. I would try it first and see how you like it after everything is set up and running. Maybe you still hate it later but maybe it ends up being something you're ok with too!

When i started i hated how overflow boxes looked and ran sumpless tanks. I never thought i would enjoy both of those features. My current tank has both large overflows and a sump and i love it now. I even have some xenia starting to grow on one of my overflows and can't wait until it spreads out! Lots of options to cover a big black box IMO :)

OP
OP
atnet360

atnet360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't argue with expert reefers.
Is that your "dream tank" size?

If that's the tank you want for the next ten years, I'd be more willing to suggest doing what you feel you need to.
Sounds like you got a great deal on it though and it suggs to turn a $200 tank into a $600 tank if it's not gonna be what you want long term regardless.

I'm not too worried about the cost. The Fiji Cube overflow I'm looking at is about $120 including the drill bit. If I bust the tank, that would be a setback, but not the end of the world, I got enough other equipment in the deal (stand, sump, light, skimmer) that even if I had to buy a new tank I'd still feel I got a good deal (though the wife would be upset :)).

In terms of the tank size, I'm pretty happy with the 60 cube (I have a perfect spot for it right by the TV, wife can binge watch while I tinker and we're still together). I currently have a 90 gallon planted tank that is reef ready. My general strategy is to try my hand at reefing with the 60, then in a few years if successful and after making all my mistakes, swapping the planted tank into the 60 and the reef into the 90 (or possibly going up to a 120 which would fit in the same spot).

One of my issues with the current overflow is I could only plumb it with a single durso drain. I plumbed my 90 with a herbie drain and love it.

So anyway, I'm leaning toward taking the plunge and cutting that overflow box out over the weekend. Found a number of threads of people who have done it successfully.

OP
OP
atnet360

atnet360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success!

Couldn't help myself and took on removing the overflow box this morning. It couldn't have gone better!

I made a video of the process. I'm no YouTuber so forgive the rough cut.

Here are some pics:

First a couple before pics
IMG_20191116_104625.jpg

IMG_20191116_104633.jpg

Started off by removing all the peeling black paint from the back. Will replace that later.
IMG_20191116_104638.jpg

The overflow box wasn't just acrylic, it had three glass panes siliconed to it as well. That made it harder to remove.
IMG_20191116_105942.jpg

The video goes into much more detail. It was hard to take pictures of the process. The two vertical sides were pretty easy, but the bottom was a real pain. Plus I was super worried about cracking the glass, especially around the holes in the bottom. But, once all the seams were broken, the box lifted right out.
IMG_20191116_114350.jpg

Then it was just a matter of scraping off the excess silicone with a sharp razor blade.
IMG_20191116_120751.jpg

Next step is to pick out and order my new overflow box, but perhaps I should start a proper build thread.

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t drilled a fish tank, but did drill some glass for a vivarium I built. Go slow, it wasn’t bad. Plenty of instructional vids that I’d watch first. I think you will be super happy with the upgrades.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back