View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big 3 rules are:

1) go slow
2) slower
3) slow down!

But I think you get that. The only other things I'd add are to have a reason for everything you do. For example, I've seen people add a GFO reactor just because everybody else has one and it gets talked about a lot. But unless you have high phosphates it's not necessary and can even be detrimental. Corals don't like zero PO4/NO3. They need nutrients.

Research everything before you buy -- absolutely no impulse buys on livestock.

As for your tank, I like the look but I'd be a little concerned that you don't have quite enough rock in it. Rock is the home for your nitrifying bacteria, and as you add more bioload you may find that your bacteria is unable to keep up. Keep a close eye on ammonia as you add livestock. My rule of thumb is 1 lb rock for every gallon of water.
I've been thinking about adding more rock actually! Maybe my reason(being aesthetic) is not the most important one but I guess if would also help I'll get more, thank you for your input!

OP
OP
palbert_95

palbert_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the gang! You will love this blog.
What size tank do you have? Have you decided on the company for the RO DI system? And lights? Am curious to know your choices. Thank you.
It's a 29gal, I went with an Aquatic life Twist-on RO/DI 75GPD since my aquarium is small and lights I'm still not 100% sure, but I'm liking the Kessil A80's, I would probably put 2 of them up since the coverage of one wouldn't be enough for my tank

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I have right now with an Eheim 250 canister and 2 clownfish so far. I have Fiji Pink Coralsea sand but have not aquascaped yet. I am probably moving to a 40 gal when Petco has their sale. I have a 20 gal tank I may use for a sump. It's just all the equipment really adds up in dollars. I looked at your RO/DI unit too studying them all. I am leaning towards getting a standard size one to use also with drinking water.

Suggest you read Ron Reefman's articles here. Bulk Reef Supply company has a ton of videos on about every topic. I have found them very helpful.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r.

My advice is find a way to enjoy doing your maintenance and testing. Viewing it as a chore is going to lead to neglect. My saturdays are water testing, cleaning equipment, water changes etc. while I’m working on the tanks I’m listening to melevsreef YouTube live stream, and watching other reef channels like tidal gardens, brs, reefdudes etc. learning more about reef keeping hobby while helping pass the time.

OP
OP
palbert_95

palbert_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I have right now with an Eheim 250 canister and 2 clownfish so far. I have Fiji Pink Coralsea sand but have not aquascaped yet. I am probably moving to a 40 gal when Petco has their sale. I have a 20 gal tank I may use for a sump. It's just all the equipment really adds up in dollars. I looked at your RO/DI unit too studying them all. I am leaning towards getting a standard size one to use also with drinking water.

Suggest you read Ron Reefman's articles here. Bulk Reef Supply company has a ton of videos on about every topic. I have found them very helpful.
I've heard RO/DI is not the best to drink but RO is, I guess that'll be a
Topic to research, I got the unit I did because it's affordable and I've heard Pretty good things about it from my local fish store and online too

OP
OP
palbert_95

palbert_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r.

My advice is find a way to enjoy doing your maintenance and testing. Viewing it as a chore is going to lead to neglect. My saturdays are water testing, cleaning equipment, water changes etc. while I’m working on the tanks I’m listening to melevsreef YouTube live stream, and watching other reef channels like tidal gardens, brs, reefdudes etc. learning more about reef keeping hobby while helping pass the time.
I agree with this, so far it hasn't been bad at all, I enjoy doing it and I'm trying to keep that mindset podcasts and YouTube videos are always nice. Thank you!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was just posted on another thread going now about RO DI systems:
1588985769948.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back