First reef tank

Bonifacio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Greetings from Porto in the north of Portugal.

After 17 years taking care of cichlids, I’ve decided It was time to get something more out of this hobby, so about 2 years I begun reading and learning about reef tanks and last November I dismantle the tank (it was a cube made by me around 150Liters, with and integrated kind of “sump” that had a refugium heater, 2 large media baskets and the return pump it was about 6 years old) and start the building of a new one.
I used the same stand, the display is 700mm x 550mm x 500mm about 200L with a sump of 600mm x 400mm x 350mm about 80Liters.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The sump is divided on three stages, the drain from the dp, skimmer and heater stage, media or refugium stage that for now it have media 2 ceramic blocks, about 10 ceramic tubes , 20/30 ceramic balls and 3 bags of coral gravel, and at last stage is for the return pump.
When designing the sump I forgot the RODI reserve… I may design a new one with smaller dimensions but with a RODI water reserve but for now i have to go with this.

This is amazing, the tanks is cycling and i already know several thing i would change i would built this system over... maybe lack of preparation, patience or knowledge at the time.

The display has 2 pipes to the sump, one for emergency and the other with a manifold to do the Herbie overflow and one return with lockline.
I dont remember how many liters of coral sand i put and i think there is about 15Kg of Fiji rock.

Equipment
Return Jebao 6000Lph
Circulation 2x Jebao RW4
Skimmer Bubble Magus G5
Dosing Pump Jebao DP-4
All equipment was purchased used…
I'll have to change the return pump it is too noisy for me, i have another jebao 8000lph and it have the same noise, i'm thinking about purchase a sicce silent or a ecotech vectra, used of course.

I still have to buy the lights and the auto top off these may be the only new equipment and build the top cover

The stand is small and I want every equipment inside so I’m designing a reverse rack as dosing vessel, for me to screw four bottles connected to the dosing pump.
i only have to 3D print.
BH1D.JPG
BH1U.JPG
BH2D.JPG
BH2U.JPG

My experience on reef tanks is 0.1, the .1 are the youtube videos I’ve been watching and articles on the web. I don’t even know anyone with saltwater tanks and only visited 2 lfs with saltwater. So this is going to be a steep learning curve.
I intent to have a mixed reef with some soft, lps and sps corals.
As livestock the pair of clowns, one wrasse, one goby with a pistol shrimp, one tang and maybe a yellow tail damsel for CUC I will try to find some red leg hermit, torchus snails and something more not yet defined

The tank is cycling with a bottle of bacteria, and I am going to put the first fish this weekend a pair of clowns.

The pictures were on my phone but i will update how the tank is now.

Bonifácio

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
bem vindo !!!!!

1583535886056.png

Last edited:

Gabriel Trifa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Greetings from Porto in the north of Portugal.

After 17 years taking care of cichlids, I’ve decided It was time to get something more out of this hobby, so about 2 years I begun reading and learning about reef tanks and last November I dismantle the tank (it was a cube made by me around 150Liters, with and integrated kind of “sump” that had a refugium heater, 2 large media baskets and the return pump it was about 6 years old) and start the building of a new one.
I used the same stand, the display is 700mm x 550mm x 500mm about 200L with a sump of 600mm x 400mm x 350mm about 80Liters.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The sump is divided on three stages, the drain from the dp, skimmer and heater stage, media or refugium stage that for now it have media 2 ceramic blocks, about 10 ceramic tubes , 20/30 ceramic balls and 3 bags of coral gravel, and at last stage is for the return pump.
When designing the sump I forgot the RODI reserve… I may design a new one with smaller dimensions but with a RODI water reserve but for now i have to go with this.

This is amazing, the tanks is cycling and i already know several thing i would change i would built this system over... maybe lack of preparation, patience or knowledge at the time.

The display has 2 pipes to the sump, one for emergency and the other with a manifold to do the Herbie overflow and one return with lockline.
I dont remember how many liters of coral sand i put and i think there is about 15Kg of Fiji rock.

Equipment
Return Jebao 6000Lph
Circulation 2x Jebao RW4
Skimmer Bubble Magus G5
Dosing Pump Jebao DP-4
All equipment was purchased used…
I'll have to change the return pump it is too noisy for me, i have another jebao 8000lph and it have the same noise, i'm thinking about purchase a sicce silent or a ecotech vectra, used of course.

I still have to buy the lights and the auto top off these may be the only new equipment and build the top cover

The stand is small and I want every equipment inside so I’m designing a reverse rack as dosing vessel, for me to screw four bottles connected to the dosing pump.
i only have to 3D print.
BH1D.JPG
BH1U.JPG
BH2D.JPG
BH2U.JPG

My experience on reef tanks is 0.1, the .1 are the youtube videos I’ve been watching and articles on the web. I don’t even know anyone with saltwater tanks and only visited 2 lfs with saltwater. So this is going to be a steep learning curve.
I intent to have a mixed reef with some soft, lps and sps corals.
As livestock the pair of clowns, one wrasse, one goby with a pistol shrimp, one tang and maybe a yellow tail damsel for CUC I will try to find some red leg hermit, torchus snails and something more not yet defined

The tank is cycling with a bottle of bacteria, and I am going to put the first fish this weekend a pair of clowns.

The pictures were on my phone but i will update how the tank is now.

Bonifácio
Also runing a cihiclid tank right now... Till i got all what i need to start the New tank

15835887254741264935222682382187.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bonifacio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also runing a cihiclid tank right now... Till i got all what i need to start the New tank

15835887254741264935222682382187.jpg
I really like cichlids, when I gave all my cichlids the oldest was with me for 17 years, it was a cynodontis eupterus. Love that fish it as survived everything, for some time the aquarium was neglected BIG TIME, for the rest of the time I did water changes about 2 times by year, a broken mercurie thermometer inside the tank don’t know for how long, fighting with some big SOB fish...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back