First saltwater Nano

Tithra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first saltwater tank. I've kept all freshwater planted tanks up until now, but my boyfriend started a saltwater tank last year and got me interested. We're short on space in our small apartment so I stole his (previously freshwater) aqueon evolve 8 gallon to play with.

Not much to see yet. I'm planning to change the rock around a bit still, and I'm currently saving for an AI prime led fixture.

Last edited:

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start! Stocking plans?
And welcome to reef2reef!

OP
OP
Tithra

Tithra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start! Stocking plans?
And welcome to reef2reef!
Thanks!

I'm thinking a sexy shrimp and a yellow clown goby...wasn't planning much else as far as inverts/fish goes considering it's only an 8 gallon. In terms of corals, I'm planning on doing primarily LPS. I'd like a bicolor hammer, a torch of some sort, a couple different zoas, some rainbow acans, maybe a fox coral, and some assorted ricordea. I have a running list lol. We're headed to a frag swap next weekend, so I'm hoping to knock a few things off my list then....this will help me get motivated to shell out the 200 for a light.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I'm thinking a sexy shrimp and a yellow clown goby...wasn't planning much else as far as inverts/fish goes considering it's only an 8 gallon. In terms of corals, I'm planning on doing primarily LPS. I'd like a bicolor hammer, a torch of some sort, a couple different zoas, some rainbow acans, maybe a fox coral, and some assorted ricordea. I have a running list lol. We're headed to a frag swap next weekend, so I'm hoping to knock a few things off my list then....this will help me get motivated to shell out the 200 for a light.
Sounds good to me! You sure seem to know alot to just be starting a tank. Even as far as the names go lol.
So you you have this thing looking nice soon, look forward to seeing it come together

Amphibious

Oldest Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tithra, welcome to R@R. A few words of caution. You need to let the tank cycle completely BEFORE adding any live stock. The only thing that happens fast in a SW tank is disaster, and is especially true in an 8 gallon nano because the amount of water is so small water parameters can change over night. Research, research and research some more BEFORE adding something you just have to have.

Dick

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You alway have to start somewhere, so you misspell start small. Welcome.

OP
OP
Tithra

Tithra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good to me! You sure seem to know alot to just be starting a tank. Even as far as the names go lol.

I've been doing the freshwater thing for quite awhile, so moving over to saltwater is just a fun new learning experience as far as the hobby goes ;) Aquascaping is still my favorite thing to do, but this obviously also applies to saltwater. Getting to learn about a bunch of different corals is just as fun as learning about all the different aquatic plants. Here's a couple random tank pics if anyone's interested...I'm sure freshwater is a dirty word here though lol

OP
OP
Tithra

Tithra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey wow Tithra, I've seen your videos on Youtube!!! Glad to have you on the reef side. Now you need to do some reef videos!!

Lol hi! Yeah I need to get on the whole video thing again...I've been super lazy about that. But yeah, I'll definitely get some reef videos going once I have something to show

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing the freshwater thing for quite awhile, so moving over to saltwater is just a fun new learning experience as far as the hobby goes ;) Aquascaping is still my favorite thing to do, but this obviously also applies to saltwater. Getting to learn about a bunch of different corals is just as fun as learning about all the different aquatic plants. Here's a couple random tank pics if anyone's interested...I'm sure freshwater is a dirty word here though lol

That is insane!! I hate freshwater lol. Those look really good though. Awesome job, are those still setup?

OP
OP
Tithra

Tithra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tithra, welcome to R@R. A few words of caution. You need to let the tank cycle completely BEFORE adding any live stock. The only thing that happens fast in a SW tank is disaster, and is especially true in an 8 gallon nano because the amount of water is so small water parameters can change over night. Research, research and research some more BEFORE adding something you just have to have.

Dick

No worries there, the tank has been fishless cycling for over a month at this point. And it was seeded with cycled media from my boyfriend's established tank. I understand the difficulties of a nano tank, I'd rather go a little bigger in all honesty, but space and money doesn't allow for this. Either way I'm not too worried about it, trial by fire right? I'm not planning to add any fish for quite awhile and am only planning on a yellow clown goby in order to keep bioload relatively low.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Doing what you did with fresh water, you should have no problem with salt. The only thing with salt, is you need a seconded and third job to finance the hobby

OP
OP
Tithra

Tithra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is insane!! I hate freshwater lol. Those look really good though. Awesome job, are those still setup?

Thank you! I moved cross country last year and tore down several tanks, so the only one of those in the pics currently running is the third pic, which is a 20 gallon long. I've also got a planted 12 gallon running but I don't have any current pics of it on my phone right now.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I moved cross country last year and tore down several tanks, so the only one of those in the pics currently running is the third pic, which is a 20 gallon long. I've also got a planted 12 gallon running but I don't have any current pics of it on my phone right now.
Well with the way your tanks look, I'm sure you will succeed in this hobby as well[emoji12] those tanks were really nice! So ill subscribe to this and see where the salty side of the fish tank hobby takes you lol. And again, welcome to R2R! Glad to have you

OP
OP
Tithra

Tithra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The boyfriend and I went to a frag swap in Nashville last weekend so I finally have some corals to call my own! I bought a couple different hammers, an octospawn, and a frog spawn, along with a couple ricordea, acans, and some rasta zoas. I also picked up two yellow clown gobies, one of which will be going in my boyfriends tank after they are QT'd in mine (figured since it didn't have any fish in it yet we could use it as a basic QT before we add one to his tank).

I also got my AI Prime light today :)

Anyway, here's a couple crappy cell pics.
e902e13ac33d89ee38f69b3ae9925a57.jpg
e069bc7af8f2f7f327e05a03ea963814.jpg
051b911e4665939d16cc6693dfb4d135.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Start!

And look out Ya'll. She owns a par meter and knows how to use it!:)

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first saltwater tank. I've kept all freshwater planted tanks up until now, but my boyfriend started a saltwater tank last year and got me interested. We're short on space in our small apartment so I stole his (previously freshwater) aqueon evolve 8 gallon to play with.

Not much to see yet. I'm planning to change the rock around a bit still, and I'm currently saving for an AI prime led fixture.

Nice start! Looking good- I'll follow along. I've been working on a 6g nano tank and it's been such a blast!

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats and welcome! I'm stoked to watch your aquascape evolve... With your planted tank experience, I'm sure you'll pick up on reefing very quickly. (]:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back