OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite levels are coming in a little high i did my water change and still high and increasing anything else i can do?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite levels are coming in a little high i did my water change and still high and increasing anything else i can do?
How long have you had water in the tank? And what method did you use to cycle it?

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had water in the tank? And what method did you use to cycle it?
I dont know diferent methods so i dont know how to answer that question and the water and live rocks/sand are going about a month

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know diferent methods so i dont know how to answer that question and the water and live rocks/sand are going about a month
Sounds like your tank hasn’t been properly cycled. Your best bet is to get some bottled bacteria such as MicroBacter 7 and follow the instructions on the bottle. The bacteria help convert fish and food waste (ammonia) into nitrites then the bacteria will break that down into nitrates which is safer for fish.

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your tank hasn’t been properly cycled. Your best bet is to get some bottled bacteria such as MicroBacter 7 and follow the instructions on the bottle. The bacteria help convert fish and food waste (ammonia) into nitrites then the bacteria will break that down into nitrates which is safer for fish.
Thank you i also saw something about a biological filter? What exactly is that?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you i also saw something about a biological filter? What exactly is that?
Basically a way to store media where bacteria can live and/or feed. Have you see those white ceramic rings? They’re on the simplest side. Some people have a biopellet reactor which is like a big cup with little pellets that feed the bacteria.

stevewright1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Rexxer
a Biological filter in simple terms is a natural filtration method which relies on good bacteria to deal with the waste in the aquarium
certain bacteria process ammonia , others process Nitrites, and others process Nitrates
your rock will become part of the biological filter, bacteria will colonize it and water flow in the tank will bring the nutrients to the bacteria for processing

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically a way to store media where bacteria can live and/or feed. Have you see those white ceramic rings? They’re on the simplest side. Some people have a biopellet reactor which is like a big cup with little pellets that feed the bacteria.
Ok so try that bacter stuff and the tank should do the rest? And i just hope for the best?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so try that bacter stuff and the tank should do the rest? And i just hope for the best?
Supposedly, you can drop a fish in the tank Day 1 with some of those. I’ve never tried it but many people have tried it and I’ve seen them post here. Just follow the instructions on the bottle and don’t over do it.

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly, you can drop a fish in the tank Day 1 with some of those. I’ve never tried it but many people have tried it and I’ve seen them post here. Just follow the instructions on the bottle and don’t over do it.
Ok thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back