First saltwater tank! Need Help!!

Ghorsley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a pre existing tank off a guy and it already had live sand and live rock and a pair of clown fish but the tank was a little neglected I wanna know what I can do to help make this tank ready for more fish and some coral. Thanks

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally even with the live rock and live sand your going to have to break the tank down to move it and it’s going to release a bunch of detritus and pockets of crap from the sand so I would rinse the sand and give the rocks a quick brush and saltwater rinse and basically start from scratch I say a guickbrush and rinse so you don’t kill off all the live bacteria in the rock that will help it cycle quicker but even with that I would still give it a few weeks before you start adding any fish or coral patience is key in this hobby and if you try to rush your going to end up with issues

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your decisions as to what to do in setting up your "new" tank rests on what you mean by neglected. If it has aiptasia, hair algae, cyano, etc. I think you'll want to incorporate strategies in your husbandry to "manage" those problems in your new tank. These could include removing aiptasia and hair algae from rocks (many good suggestions for doing so - just search R2R); ensuring sufficient flow for addressing cyano; of course, maintaining appropriate water parameters long term, etc.

I would replace the sand if this is feasible.

And as RWG above says, don't rush the cycling of your new tank.

Good luck; if you post a picture or two, others can help you identify pest/neglect issues and offer treatments.

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes

pictures would help

i would recommend replacing sand as well

but thats me personally

OP
OP
G

Ghorsley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have said I already got the tank and I already set it up where I wanted it I haven't added anything but it already has 2 clowns and a eel and a firefish I think but that's it no coral or anything and I've had it for a while becuse I figured I could get it clean and the algae out or under control ill take pics tonight after work but I bought it before I went on deployment and my "buddy" was supposed to take care of it while I was gone he feed the fish but I think that's about it when I got home the algae had taken over and the tank had like a 1/4 the water gone so would I have to start fresh just completely clean out the tank change the sand and start a new cycle or what. Thanks for your help guys

OP
OP
G

Ghorsley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your decisions as to what to do in setting up your "new" tank rests on what you mean by neglected. If it has aiptasia, hair algae, cyano, etc. I think you'll want to incorporate strategies in your husbandry to "manage" those problems in your new tank. These could include removing aiptasia and hair algae from rocks (many good suggestions for doing so - just search R2R); ensuring sufficient flow for addressing cyano; of course, maintaining appropriate water parameters long term, etc.

I would replace the sand if this is feasible.

And as RWG above says, don't rush the cycling of your new tank.

Good luck; if you post a picture or two, others can help you identify pest/neglect issues and offer treatments.
I should have said I already got the tank and I already set it up where I wanted it I haven't added anything but it already has 2 clowns and a eel and a firefish I think but that's it no coral or anything and I've had it for a while becuse I figured I could get it clean and the algae out or under control ill take pics tonight after work but I bought it before I went on deployment and my "buddy" was supposed to take care of it while I was gone he feed the fish but I think that's about it when I got home the algae had taken over and the tank had like a 1/4 the water gone so would I have to start fresh just completely clean out the tank change the sand and start a new cycle or what. Thanks for your help guys

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing the sand isn’t necessary. You’re breaking down the tank to move it I assume. Pull the rocks out and place them in a tub of water from the tank. Get them home. Pull the sand out and put in a bucket or bin that is probably double the size of sand you have. Put a garden hose in it on turn it on with enough flow that is carries detritus away but not the sand. Rinse for a couple hours stirring occasionally once the sand is clean of detritus you’ll be good. The tap water rinse should kill of any pests that may reside in the sand. Scrub the rocks as others have said. You can mix up a batch of coral dip to dip the rocks in or do a fresh water quick rinse. But I’d do the dip per instructions. Clean the tank and set up as desired. I’m fixing to do this exact very thing and have already made a post exactly like this one. This is the best solution we came to and discussed. No sense in spending more money than is necessary replacing something you already have just because its dirty. Unless you just don’t want to bother with cleaning. Also there is no need to wait weeks for the cycle. Especially with the live rock. You will still have bacteria on it after a coral dip. So with that and a bottle of Dt.Tim’s or Fritz turbo start or other live bacteria starter there is no need for a fish less cycle. Thousands of people do instant start tanks and are very successful. The whole wait weeks and months is old technology and was true back in the day. But there are now better products on the market that makes those processes unnecessary. And that is a very debatable topic as you will see some old diehards will dispute me and swear the old way is the only way. But it’s just not true anymore. Get on YouTube and on here and look up instant start tanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back