Need help with tank choice

Alexng08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I was looking to try and get my first saltwater tank, and was wondering what suggestions you guys have. I have a lot of experience with freshwater, and I decided I want to try out saltwater. I was looking for an AIO that doesn't smash the bank, I only have a budget of 500-600. I was looking to do a reef tank while sticking to mainly softies, and a few easy fish. I was hoping to stick around 25 - 35 gals.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval Flex 32.5 Marine Salt Water Aquarium Kit - Fish Tank for Fish, Coral & More - Comes with LED Lights, Filtration System & More - 32.5" x 15.75" x 15.35" - 123 L, 32.5 Gal. - Black https://a.co/d/cqIpbqJ

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovative Marine. Admittedly still needs a light, but can’t beat the quality. I’ve had 2 IM AIO tanks.
1704518853296.png

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving my Waterbox aquarium - highly recommend it. They definitely have ones that size that fit your budget!
Would you recommend going w that 25 peninsula or the 35? I’m also looking at getting a new tank and am on the fence between the 2. Is there a large difference between the two? Or is it up to preference?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the budget for the tank and stand only? If so I recommend a Waterbox. If it’s the total budget starting out for additional equipment then a Fluval or a rimmed tank with HOB equipment will be more budget friendly.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend going w that 25 peninsula or the 35? I’m also looking at getting a new tank and am on the fence between the 2. Is there a large difference between the two? Or is it up to preference?

I think its preference for a few things:

Peninsula vs. regular (which depends on the layout). I like having a peninsula and being able to see almost the entire aquarium on all 3 sides, but it really depends on how tha tank will be oriented in the room. If one of the long glass sides is going to be against a wall anyway, then a peninsula may not make sense.

25g vs. 35g - for me, bigger isn't always better. I came from a reefer 170 (~35 gallon display and ~10 gallon sump) and it was a great tank, but it turned out to be too much for me to maintain at the time due to the size. I really enjoy a smaller tank (I now have a 15 gallon) as it is much easier to maintain and I run a simpler system. I also like how the tank is easier to fill up with stuff faster since its smaller. You do not need as many or as large of corals / fish to feel like you have a full reef. It will also cost less all around as you do not need as much of everything.

Having all that said, 35 gallons isn't necessarily huge (some would still consider it a large nano), and it is certainly easier to maintain water parameters in a larger tank. Some thoughts to consider. I do not think you can go wrong either way!

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a waterbox 25 and have loved it! It was on the more expensive side, but it's been worth it. One thing to remember the costs add up fast for everything else and the tank ends up not being so bad lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back