Help? Tank Choice!!

darrendink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone thanks for having me. I have a dilemma, I am new to fishkeeping, have had some freshwater tanks before but wanting to potentially look at SW.

I am really struggling for which tank to go.

Waterbox

These are all in consideration. Where the tank will be situated really doesnt lend to having a peninsuala sideways as it will be between two couches, but can come off the wall.

But I do have an affliction towards cubes.

The 10 is my perfect nano size, but i will be extremely restricted for fish ( this is my main choice instead of corals)

The 20 is ok but it is slightly too big I feel.

The peninsula Mini 15 i dont mind as the tank size is almost a cube for the display, and can have this coming off the wall and not look silly.

Anyone have any suggestions and maybe some pics of their tanks to help me?

I also may still do fw but i want to buy for salt to have best of both worlds if i do change back.

Sorry for the rant!

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone thanks for having me. I have a dilemma, I am new to fishkeeping, have had some freshwater tanks before but wanting to potentially look at SW.

Waterbox

These are all in consideration. Where the tank will be situated really doesnt lend to having a peninsuala sideways as it will be between two couches, but can come off the wall.

The 10 is my perfect nano size, but i will be extremely restricted for fish ( this is my main choice instead of corals)

The peninsula Mini 15 i dont mind as the tank size is almost a cube for the display, and can have this coming off the wall and not look silly.

I also may still do fw but i want to buy for salt to have best of both worlds if i do change back.

Sorry for the rant!
What livestock are you looking at? I’ve always found myself regretting a smaller tank after reviewing the fish I wanted to keep. Of course, I enjoy going through the upgrades later but not for my wallet.

OP
OP
D

darrendink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What livestock are you looking at? I’ve always found myself regretting a smaller tank after reviewing the fish I wanted to keep. Of course, I enjoy going through the upgrades later but not for my wallet.
Well this here in lies the issue. What different fish could I keep in say a 25 over the 10?

OP
OP
D

darrendink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it a small tank would be fun but going off past experience 30 gal is probably the smallest Id want to go for many reasons.
It’s more the room. I don’t have room for a bigger tank, I could make the peninsula 25 work if I wanted to though

OP
OP
D

darrendink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I think about it I’ve narrowed it down to 3.

15 20 or 25 :)

15 I don’t mind as it’s still small but restricted by stocking…..

Last edited:

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my two cents here( newbie here )
I agree with what everyone has put here, it all depends on what project you want for your tank, and from there you make a decision, it depends if you like more fish and more corals or if you like less fish and more corals , happy reefing and waiting for you to post photos and talk about the process

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really like fish like you explained, the bigger the better. In a 15 you’ll be restricted to gobies and inverts whereas in a 25 you can have a clown, chromis, and gobies. Not very many but definitely more options.

OP
OP
D

darrendink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my two cents here( newbie here )
I agree with what everyone has put here, it all depends on what project you want for your tank, and from there you make a decision, it depends if you like more fish and more corals or if you like less fish and more corals , happy reefing and waiting for you to post photos and talk about the process
I’m definitely more a fish guy than a coral guy.

I also would like to use the tank as a freshwater tank as well at some stage.

See attached the space where it will go

Excuse the mess!

Attachments

• IMG_2569.jpeg
    IMG_2569.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
D

darrendink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really like fish like you explained, the bigger the better. In a 15 you’ll be restricted to gobies and inverts whereas in a 25 you can have a clown, chromis, and gobies. Not very many but definitely more options.
Thanks. 20 or 25 it is then.

Decisions decisions!

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to speak for myself in this one, I am telling you about my experience that I have a coralife biocube 32, Maybe it will work for you in that space, or something smaller, you would have to measure the space you have available and then look from there
I’m definitely more a fish guy than a coral guy.

I also would like to use the tank as a freshwater tank as well at some stage.

See attached the space where it will go

Excuse the mess!

OP
OP
D

darrendink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to speak for myself in this one, I am telling you about my experience that I have a coralife biocube 32, Maybe it will work for you in that space, or something smaller, you would have to measure the space you have available and then look from there
We can’t get them in Australia unfortunately.

OP
OP
D

darrendink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway take the measurements and from there you know what to look for but I agree with @crazyfishmom in a 25 is going to be the best option for you, keep us updated, happy reefing
I can fit a pm sideways or peninsula style in between couches.

I’m just unsure if I want to go that big. I don’t want to mix my own salt and I’ll be making trips to the lfs every two weeks getting saltwater that’s all.

Mmmmm I suppose the 15 is even better than the 20 due to the length of tank isn’t it?

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can fit a pm sideways or peninsula style in between couches.

I’m just unsure if I want to go that big. I don’t want to mix my own salt and I’ll be making trips to the lfs every two weeks getting saltwater that’s all.

Mmmmm I suppose the 15 is even better than the 20 due to the length of tank isn’t it?
Brother, we are giving advices but in the end the decision is yours, what you feel comfortable with, What works for one may not work for others, I have a biocube 32g and I do a water change of 10% every 3 weeks and it works for me, It doesn't mean that it will work for everyone but I think you should adjust to the time you have available to dedicate to the tank and if you also have an LFS nearby

OP
OP
D

darrendink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brother, we are giving advices but in the end the decision is yours, what you feel comfortable with, What works for one may not work for others, I have a biocube 32g and I do a water change of 10% every 3 weeks and it works for me, It doesn't mean that it will work for everyone but I think you should adjust to the time you have available to dedicate to the tank and if you also have an LFS nearby
Amazing thanks mate.

The 25 would be great I guess if I can get away with 2.5g every 2 weeks!

I think at least I’ve narrowed it down to the 15 or 25.

I don’t want it to consume my life. I’ve done it before with a 100.3 and don’t want the headaches haha

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Waterbox

Sorry for the rant!
Go with a Red sea max nano. You won’t regret it.
I definitely want the best for you, you mentioned, up against the wall or slightly away this is the tank you want.
I would also recommend you to never do below 20gallons, a pair of clowns and another fish (total 3 fish for 20gal) to control bio load and I’d say this can run for weeks before water changes.
15gal- 10Gal you’ll be stuck changing the water every 5-7 day or less if you have 3 fish in those small tanks.

I’d also say, a pair of clown is my 20gal is all I need, they are happy, they love a tank just for themselves, it’s open and all their favorite spots are available.
(Besides it is a small cube* tank you want the best for them)

For 20 Gallon the regular original Max nano (I have as a project tank.)

For 33gallons. Red Sea MAX Nano G2 XL
(I definitely wanna upgrade to LOL)

The Red Sea max nano are by far amazing tanks that will last 10+ years even more!

I also want to help you understand moving situations (I’ve encountered).~That you should know.

I’ve moved a lot! When I tell you this tank is straight forward, easy I’m not lying lol.
I’ve moved across the country and still this tank being light and fast to assemble has saved me time, money and quick for setting it up back with rock, fish and corals. It is truly the desired tank if you plan to move, (move from state or move it from upstairs, basement, or to a bedroom)

I love mine it has been with me for 4 years.

Water box are nice but I had a buddy who moved also just as much as me and the tank couldn’t hold it own weight in moving Situations.. the seems have in and had shifted, totaling the tank.

If you never plan to move go for a water box
If you plan to move in the next 3-7years… GO with Red Sea!

The tank that has seen 5 different states and even from California to Maryland (box and double bubble wrap kept it more than safe anywhere AND EVERYWHERE I’ve been.

IMG_2513.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

darrendink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a Red sea max nano. You won’t regret it.
For 20 Gallon the regular Max nano

For 33gallons. Red Sea MAX Nano G2 XL

the Red Sea max nano are by far amazing tanks that will last 10+ years even more!

I’ve moved a lot! When I tell you this tank is straight forward, easy I’m not lying lol.
I’ve moved across the country and still this tank being light.

I love mine it has been with me for 4 years.

Water box are nice but I had a buddy who moved also just as much as me and the tank couldn’t hold it own weight in moving Situations..

If you never plan to move go for a water box
If you plan to move in the next 3-7years go with Red Sea!

The tank that has seen 5 different states and even from California to Maryland (box and double bubble wrap kept it more than safe anywhere)

IMG_2513.jpeg
thanks mate the max nano is probably a bit too big for my spot, i havent looked into the Red Sea though! will have a look now. I just wasnt sure weather I should go for 20g cube or 25g peninsula in terms of fish stocking?

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing thanks mate.

I don’t want it to consume my life. I’ve done it before with a 100.3 and don’t want the , hope you keep us updated, happy reefing

Amazing thanks mate.

I don’t want it to consume my life. I’ve done it before with a 100.3 and don’t want the headaches haha
If you are determined, happy for you brother, go for it, I just hope you keep us updated, happy reefing

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks mate the max nano is probably a bit too big for my spot, i havent looked into the Red Sea though! will have a look now. I just wasnt sure weather I should go for 20g cube or 25g peninsula in terms of fish stocking?
20 gal cube is the one I have, I edited my post up and typed and little extra info, if you mind rereading my first message.

peninsula tank would work super well if like you said both couches on either side so you can even catch the beauty of the sides!

I definitely want the best for you and when you look at fish especially 3 fish or 4 … A 20 gallon is perfect enough for all that, absolutely strive for a beautiful rock scape for all 4 fish and stuff it with corals of all colors.

I’m super glad I can help and if you do plan for a Red Sea max nano… we welcome you to the family, there are Facebook groups of Red Sea max nano that we support all and every owner. Hope to see your tank!

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back