First Saltwater Tank Setup!

Zac.Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I hope everyone is well and taking advantage of the increased amount of home life with their loved ones and of course fish friends!

I’m a mechanical engineer by trade and live over in sunny NSW over here in Australia. I have been in the freshwater game for just over 12 years and thought I would finally try my hand at the saltwater game!

Currently I have 100g freshwater planted tank which has been running for about 5 years now and of course I have a 15g water box nano with a pair of clowns and some corals.

The saltwater tank has been running for just over 6 months and has been fairly constant in its parameters, however, over the last few weeks I have run into an issue where I’ve had some polyps bail out from my hammers and Acans and also shrinking of my chalice corals!

My parameters are:
PH 8.3
Salt 1.025
Alk 8.5
Mg 1400
Ca 410
Nitrates around 8-10
Phosphate 0.01

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for having me! :)

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Have you noticed any animals bothering any of your corals? I ask because your parameters don't make me think they would be the cause.

What light are you using, and what is the schedule of your photoperiod?

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome.jpg

OP
OP
Zac.Clinton

Zac.Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Have you noticed any animals bothering any of your corals? I ask because your parameters don't make me think they would be the cause.

What light are you using, and what is the schedule of your photoperiod?
Thank you :)

I had my clown fish trying to host in one of the corals which has since killed it (a torch), however, they don’t touch anything else.
I am running one AI Prime. I have attached the schedule - it should be the BRS AB+

32AA8BA7-FBA9-4F73-8D27-240C3AF10AEE.jpeg 95D9E7BF-E83B-4BEB-A119-819666ED4573.jpeg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back