OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, starting down the electronics path (I think I should have done plumbing first but once I had the apex I started buying online!!!)... Any feedback would be great...

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cabinet for electronics is already busy with stuff but not sure if I should put all my modules in here or just in a hidden cabinet to keep it clean...
IMG_3628.jpeg

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments and suggestions... where is the best place to put the ball valves after the overfliw? Right next to the overflow or down by the sump?

I've put in both areas you mention and have no preference. I as you prefer the ball valve over a gate valve. Good choice.

I am truly enjoying your thread, way of thinking, clever ideas and construction and thank you for sharing.

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crisp and sleek Andy. This is a terrific build.

Thank you this is a great community I look forward to learning as I go here. I am currently building a 40 breeder some and will put some pictures on here if you or anyone has ideas on how to best to get the filter socks hooked up or to use something else as a pre-filter to the sub.

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started and finished my DIY sump this week... I went with a used 40 gallon breeder that I tested for water and then cut out the 2 baffle system that was in it. I want to have filter socks (4"), a place for my skimmer first, then a refugium, and, not sure if this is needed, but a mechanical filter between the refugium and return pump 2-5/8" was desired... I used the GE1 silicone although I will see how that pans out. I also added some bracing at the top of the baffles as it is THIN polycarbonate that would help shore it up for less bending with the flow (the Jecod pump does 9000LPH)...

All told I used about 1/2 of the 2/3 sheet polycarbonate, 2 tubes of GE1, and ended up not following my initial design for filter socks (different configuration as you can see)....

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is where I worked on this last night and will let it dry for at least a week as I have all the plumbing to do still. Thinking I will put the sump in next weekend and work plumbing then... Any feedback on this or comments are always appreciated... My wife and I said after it was done... WELL, IF IT DOESN'T WORK WE WILL CUT IT OUT AND TRY AGAIN... I am thinking if it doesn't work the trigger systems guys will get a call....

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium ended up only being about 10 gallons which I was hoping would be more but we will see how that works with the chaeto and rocks I have going...

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I recieved some great feedback on plastic absorption of water and ended up taking all the baffles back out today and cutting them down 1/8" on each side so they can expand without living room destruction...

Once I get it all put back together I will be working the plumbing and FISH ROOM!! downstairs... Video coming early next week...

By the way, are you registered for this giveaway??? https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/built-like-a-tunze-9410-doc-skimmer-giveaway.515/

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you all have any ideas on the fish room please let me know... I am looking, of course, at a mix station, rodi res, 2 quarantine tanks, and a large salt res as well... Any ideas or thoughts or PICTURES please let me know...

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, starting down the electronics path (I think I should have done plumbing first but once I had the apex I started buying online!!!)... Any feedback would be great...

It’s sooo pretty!!. :)

1WildBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite the build. Your a very talented man. Love everything you have done so far. Keep it up.

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so we have finally been able to get back to the tank and get some things done...

The aquascape is essentially complete. Could use some advice on placement from the glass for flow etc...

Also went with bare bottom per all the videos from WWC and BRSTV on their method and ULM... Thanks BRSTV!! MORE FLOW!!! LESS DETRITUS!

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I WILL FIX THE LIGHTING for the next one.... Looked cool in person but in the video and pics it is horrible...

I have the sump finally going in and ready for plumbing... ANY suggestions or advice I am open to...

Using gate valves, several unions on top of true union ball valves with my prototype the BRS160 plumbing...

Thanks to any and all for comments or suggestions...

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok . so we made some big headway since last I posted... I will get some pics of the new fish room downstairs but had to share the latest videos and WATER in the tank FINALLY!!!!

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some algae today (8th day of the cycle). Ended up with two (see other thread in the algae form about why) so put both in the refugium today. Took some measurements and hope to have the algae help with final cycling. I have one more item I wanted in before I cycled (the large Marine pure block) which is supposed to be in tomorrow. I will throw a bit more Biro Spira at this to get that seeded and then wait the cycle.... Fun...

Any comments or suggestions PLEASE chime in...

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back