First Saltwater Tank

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All! I am excited about the next steps and am happy that so many are willing to give advice. Currently I have a few tanks for the display, sump, and ATO and am looking at my location to build a new stand. I have attached a short video here of what I am doing and will add more to it as I go. ANY and all advice is appreciated.

One thing I didn't mention in the video is that I have checked the weight distribution and floor support and should be able to support tank, stand, sump, equipment, and several people for viewing without issue AND the electrical will change to GFCI before we do much more.

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of the concepts of stands I am looking to build. If anyone has any they can share please let me know..
Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 9.41.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 2.39.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 4.04.56 PM.png

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those stands look nice!! I noticed in one of your videos the wainscoting and crown in the room where the tank will go as well. Would it be possible to tie the line of the wainscoting into the tank build?
I did something for a customer like that years ago and it was a super clean look

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I thank you for your thoughts and ideas. I AM going to use the same molding on the tank to give it a 'build in' look without the built in need (in case I have to move it someday)...

So today I was able to get some ideas finally narrowed down and actually start building... Here is where I got to...

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Here is my next step to finish the sides and my daily rant... I have really wanted to keep the sides as open as possible even though one end is drilled for what was a peninsula tank. I am making the best of it... right now I am hiding the 1.5 inch overflow pipes in the side shelving 1x4s.

The primary framing is done including cut outs for the bulkheads. Any suggestions on what you guys did for your canopy? I hung a middle 'rafter' so that I can hang my lights there and still keeping the sides open for electronics.

As I learn more about reactors it looks like I will need a few so I think I have room for that...

Again, any suggestions let me know. Am also wondering about door construction vs purchase.

I am

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments and suggestions... where is the best place to put the ball valves after the overfliw? Right next to the overflow or down by the sump?

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting the last pieces together and doing trim work today... Do you guys have any suggestions on where to put the plugs? I think I am going APEX with the 8 plug unit for now.. Do you like putting the plugs underneath or with your other control panels? I am asking because I don't know why I would need to do anything or see the mess of the plugs in my display/controller panel I have on the side and would like to simply put it underneath or in a hidden area at the back of the cabinet just access once I plug something in and then configure the APEX?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I did mine, ball on the drain and a check before entering the tank. I also have a ball v. just after the return pump. On your electronics cabinet, you may need more space, I would use that space directly behind your planed space as well.
20180407_203900.jpg ..........Looking Good!........................
upload_2018-9-30_11-58-19.jpeg

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome feedback. I think the plumbing i will do just as you did next. On the electronics i see what you mean and i think i will ise the top left area and have taken it apart to use. Thank you much! Really great info.

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Again! Well, made some progress and am essentially done with the stand. I have some great room in the back that I will show as we build the overflow, sump, return, and do the electrical. That said, would love some feedback on what you all do (I have scoured the sites for pictures of how people mount the equipment.

A BIG shout out to GCRAWFORD for the great transaction here on reef2reef for the apex classic controller - hooked up in seconds and fusion is beginning to be understood... ha!

Ok - if you have any comments or suggestions let me know. I have a bunch of pics and specifics on the making of the doors if you need to make some yourself (by the 9th one it was getting easy)... including routing bits used, measurements, and how we secured the trim inside the door edges to dress it up.

Thanks all and happy reefing!

Andy

OP
OP
KCSUMPS

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent attached most of the pictures but thought I would throw them on this thread. If you need any measurements or details on the router bits, settings, type of wood, beading, etc let me know... On to building the sump!

Back