OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a cheap led top light. Nothing special.
im assuming I would need to let the new saltwater cycle on the new tank though right? as in too long of a process to think about putting the sick fish I have right now in a new one

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This should help a bunch. Read that and it will explain everything!!

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT. Set up.

20190904_204946.jpg 20190904_204955.jpg 20190904_205006.jpg 20190904_205010.jpg 20190904_205022.jpg

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im assuming I would need to let the new saltwater cycle on the new tank though right? as in too long of a process to think about putting the sick fish I have right now in a new one
Add a bacteria product. To help cycle. Manage by watching ammonia levels and water levels. Use a good amount of water from your desplay. This will help prevent some stress on transfer of sick fish. But no need to wait.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is that probably what happened? ich was always in my tank by uv sterilizer was minimalizing it? and if thats the case, will turning the uv back on diminish it or just simply not allow it to grow anymore than it already has, guess I will have to invest in QT tank

Yes should turn UV on ASAP, it will help buy you time by killing the free swimming stage, but will not come close to eradicating them. Also type of UV sterilizer you have and at what flow makes a big difference. Definitely start researching QT, time is of the essence. Unless you can get a prescription I would not waste time on CP and just look at copper treatment. You can get a 40 breeder from Petco for cheap. Heater, air pump, power head and some PVC is all you need. Plan B is just try to manage what you have with great food and hoping for the best. I don't like plan B.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can move them right away, you just need some bottled bacteria like a dr tims or something like that, and maybe some prime to keep the toxic ammonia under control. A seachem ammonia alert badge will be the only thing that gives you an idea of ammonia once you dose prime though.

Get the biggest tank you can afford, your fish have to live in it for 76 days while the ich that is in the tank dies off.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d turn the uv on now. Also you need a heater, a filter (hang on back) and a tank or tub for qt. No light needed. There is also the tank transfer method that works for ich. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes should turn UV on ASAP, it will help buy you time by killing the free swimming stage, but will not come close to eradicating them. Also type of UV sterilizer you have and at what flow makes a big difference. Definitely start researching QT, time is of the essence. Unless you can get a prescription I would not waste time on CP and just look at copper treatment. You can get a 40 breeder from Petco for cheap. Heater, air pump, power head and some PVC is all you need. Plan B is just try to manage what you have with great food and hoping for the best. I don't like plan B.
I don’t like plan b either. But unfortunately even a cheap set up for a qt tank sounds like too much for me at this particular time. But moving forward whether my fish survive or not I will definitely invest in one to try and avoid this again.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your local classifieds, craigslist, freshwater and reef groups. People dump full 10,20, 30 gal setups all the time for a fraction of the cost. You're likely to have a tank, heater, HOB filter and cheap light or hood for a fraction of new.

It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to hold water. You could do this all with a large rubbermaid storage container.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like plan b either. But unfortunately even a cheap set up for a qt tank sounds like too much for me at this particular time. But moving forward whether my fish survive or not I will definitely invest in one to try and avoid this again.

Not to be negative, but when living animals are on the line then research is definitely necessary before jumping into this hobby. It is not like a remote control plane that you have to save up for parts to repair. There is a level of responsibility to provide adequate care for the animals under your control. I wish you luck, but would definitely urge you to take a step back and read as much as possible before making any additions to your tank.

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be negative, but when living animals are on the line then research is definitely necessary before jumping into this hobby. It is not like a remote control plane that you have to save up for parts to repair. There is a level of responsibility to provide adequate care for the animals under your control. I wish you luck, but would definitely urge you to take a step back and read as much as possible before making any additions to your tank.
I do agree with you on the research. I mean obviously I did read up what I thought I needed to know but only been in the hobby for a year after friend gave up their hobby to me so can’t expect to be an expert yet. Believe me I definitely don’t want any/all the fish to die if I can help it. The powder brown tang was the first thing I added in probably 3 months but definitely won’t be adding anything new for awhile regardless like you said.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d turn the uv on now. Also you need a heater, a filter (hang on back) and a tank or tub for qt. No light needed. There is also the tank transfer method that works for ich. Good luck.
Curious, what uv sterilizer do you have and how many watts

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree with you on the research. I mean obviously I did read up what I thought I needed to know but only been in the hobby for a year after friend gave up their hobby to me so can’t expect to be an expert yet. Believe me I definitely don’t want any/all the fish to die if I can help it. The powder brown tang was the first thing I added in probably 3 months but definitely won’t be adding anything new for awhile regardless like you said.
When I lost my $224s of fish it was because I purchased a 19$ fish from my LFS that died 48 hours later. That fish shed slime and was sick .... Later found out many others in that store tank died also. It cost me dearly. So, the lesson motevated me to set up the qt. Hated doing it but now wish I did it from the beginning. How could I be so stupid is my thinking now. Hang in there.

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some great stuff so far on there, as well as help on this thread. I really appreciate it! And hopefully I can’t stress enough, I’m not trying to just say they are fish and if they die they die. I wanted to get into this hobby for years and finally found an opening. I know I’m not an expert and I plan on learning new things everyday. But like everything else. There’s gonna be obstacles, just hand to deal with them as they come or try to do more research before they present themselves

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, what uv sterilizer do you have and how many watts

No UV. I have a 20 gal qt. When I want new fish they go in qt. And I use copper power. In the old days I could blindly add a healthy fish that was eating. Nowadays I will never add a fish without it being in observation qt or treated for 4 weeks minimum in qt.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back