First sight of Ich

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a powder brown tang about a month ago and used a UV sterilizer for the first three weeks of it being in the tank ( no I do not have a QT tank). I happen to notice white spots all over it and I hadn't notice them before. Looks like my yellow tang has also got a few spots on it already as well. What are the best medications and where can I get them? I've read about water changes and small temp increase but I'm sure the medication will help as well. Is it too late for these fish?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give us more info on the tank occupants, corals ,inverts etc.

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clownfish, 2 yellowtail damsel, 2 bangai cardinals, 1 golden head sleeper goby, 1 coral beauty, 1 firefish, and the two tangs
clean up crew is 1 urchin, and roughly 100-125 snails/hermit crabs of different species
i have a green goniopora, pom pom xenia, acropora, and cespitularia as corals
just ran tests two days ago
phophate 0.1
nitrate 10
calcium 425
magnesium 1290
dKh 11.6 ( i know a little high)
pH 8.15
salinity 1.026
temp. 78.2

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clownfish, 2 yellowtail damsel, 2 bangai cardinals, 1 golden head sleeper goby, 1 coral beauty, 1 firefish, and the two tangs
clean up crew is 1 urchin, and roughly 100-125 snails/hermit crabs of different species
i have a green goniopora, pom pom xenia, acropora, and cespitularia as corals
just ran tests two days ago
phophate 0.1
nitrate 10
calcium 425
magnesium 1290
dKh 11.6 ( i know a little high)
pH 8.15
salinity 1.026
temp. 78.2
I also daily carbon dose with 0.6mL of vodka, 20 mL kent purple tech 3x a week, 10 mL of kent essential elements once a week

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just been trying to reading up on medicines, seems maybe chloroquine phosphate or copper power might be way to go since I don't have any fish that are sensitive to it? any experience on either of these?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just been trying to reading up on medicines, seems maybe chloroquine phosphate or copper power might be way to go since I don't have any fish that are sensitive to it? any experience on either of these?

Not sure what those are..... copper will kill your coral and inverts

The Prazipro stuff I was looking at is apparently reef safe

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah.... read about it not being reef safe about five minutes after posting, ill check out the other stuff

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask LFS for food that helps fish with ich. Dr ??something?? is one of them.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a fish trap. Good one. Fish need to be removed. I tried kick ich in my reef and well, lost all the sick fish anyway. 50%. Tang, flame, and two clowns. Lesson, now I have a qt/hospital tank. All new fish go there. I treat all of them with paraguard and if something pops up (and it did), treat with appropriate treatments. Have not lost a fish yet, knock on glass.... My QT tank came from Petco. My DT is a red sea 350.

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a powder brown tang about a month ago and used a UV sterilizer for the first three weeks of it being in the tank ( no I do not have a QT tank). I happen to notice white spots all over it and I hadn't notice them before. Looks like my yellow tang has also got a few spots on it already as well. What are the best medications and where can I get them? I've read about water changes and small temp increase but I'm sure the medication will help as well. Is it too late for these fish?
always sad to hear these sorta things and scares the crap out of me. I think it’s really important to get them out of there and into QT from what I‘ve read and come to understand. I really hope this turns around for you. What size tank do you have?

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always sad to hear these sorta things and scares the crap out of me. I think it’s really important to get them out of there and into QT from what I‘ve read and come to understand. I really hope this turns around for you. What size tank do you have?

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a fish trap. Good one. Fish need to be removed. I tried kick ich in my reef and well, lost all the sick fish anyway. 50%. Tang, flame, and two clowns. Lesson, now I have a qt/hospital tank. All new fish go there. I treat all of them with paraguard and if something pops up (and it did), treat with appropriate treatments. Have not lost a fish yet, knock on glass.... My QT tank came from Petco. My DT is a red sea 350.
well in that case, how big of a QT tank should i get? and how quickly do I need to get it set up before the fish probably die? wouldn't I need everything to go with it? heater, pump, light, etc??

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well in that case, how big of a QT tank should i get? and how quickly do I need to get it set up before the fish probably die? wouldn't I need everything to go with it? heater, pump, light, etc??
probably one of the problems with having an expensive hobby but not sure if I have the money for everything I need for QT tank right now

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Without a QT tank there will be no way to cure your fish without killing all your coral and inverts. There is no reef safe treatment. The best you can hope for is managing the parasite with UV and well rounded food. I have used cholorquine phosphate many times and it can eliminate ich in two week, but you cannot use it in a display tank.

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a QT tank there will be no way to cure your fish without killing all your coral and inverts. There is no reef safe treatment. The best you can hope for is managing the parasite with UV and well rounded food. I have used cholorquine phosphate many times and it can eliminate ich in two week, but you cannot use it in a display tank.
so is that probably what happened? ich was always in my tank by uv sterilizer was minimalizing it? and if thats the case, will turning the uv back on diminish it or just simply not allow it to grow anymore than it already has, guess I will have to invest in QT tank

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably one of the problems with having an expensive hobby but not sure if I have the money for everything I need for QT tank right now
Need a heater. Tank, stand. And a simple filter. Some people use large storage containers. The tank I got is 20 gallons. If you have bigger fish thenaybe 30 would be better. Petco often sell the tanks a 1$ per gallion. The heater can be a cheap one. But I purchased the same one so I have a ready backup for DT tank. As heaters do fail. Hang on filter and a cover. Kits are available.... I keep my tank running. And then do a water change when putting any new or sick fish in it.

OP
OP
T

tmscott89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a heater. Tank, stand. And a simple filter. Some people use large storage containers. The tank I got is 20 gallons. If you have bigger fish thenaybe 30 would be better. Petco often sell the tanks a 1$ per gallion. The heater can be a cheap one. But I purchased the same one so I have a ready backup for DT tank. As heaters do fail. Hang on filter and a cover. Kits are available.... I keep my tank running. And then do a water change when putting any new or sick fish in it.
so no light is necessary?

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is that probably what happened? ich was always in my tank by uv sterilizer was minimalizing it? and if thats the case, will turning the uv back on diminish it or just simply not allow it to grow anymore than it already has, guess I will have to invest in QT tank
Ich and marine velvet drops off and then multiply. You should do research on life cycle of ick. The product kick ick may help disrupt the cycle ... sorry for your sick fish. If you can get the sick fish out them you have a chance.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back