First starfish curling up?

TMRising

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what’s going on with guy? Acclimation shock? We drip acclimated him and he’s been in the tank 4 days now. Checked nitrates (9ppm), ammonia (0) and pH (7.8). He just curled that leg up in the last few hours.

98D642BB-60DD-4EE8-979E-7A3D71B0AE56.jpeg

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what’s going on with guy? Acclimation shock? We drip acclimated him and he’s been in the tank 4 days now. Checked nitrates (9ppm), ammonia (0) and pH (7.8). He just curled that leg up in the last few hours.

98D642BB-60DD-4EE8-979E-7A3D71B0AE56.jpeg
How old is the tank? Are you hand feeding him, has he ate anything? How big is your aquarium how long did you do the drip acclimation for?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they have poor survival rates long term :( Sometimes on the way out before you buy them.

OP
OP
TMRising

TMRising

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that’s what I’m thinking he’s not getting enough food that’s usually the problem!!
I haven’t fed him anything, was told he would just eat the algae in the tank. It’s a 32 gal tank, and we did the drip acclimation over a two hour period. I’m feeling like I got some awful advice just so they could sell him.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t fed him anything, was told he would just eat the algae in the tank. It’s a 32 gal tank, and we did the drip acclimation over a two hour period. I’m feeling like I got some awful advice just so they could sell him.
Ya sounds like it. You need to feed him three things mussels, clams, and veggie sinking pellets at least twice a day!!

Legomaniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya sounds like it. You need to feed him three things mussels, clams, and veggie sinking pellets at least twice a day!!
I've had my red linckia star for a year now and I have never fed it anything and it still looks good. I didn't even acclimate it. Floated it in the bag for a bit, then threw it in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is a linkia and NOT a beginner specimen and does Best in a WELL Established tank as it is intolerant of sudden changes in temperature, oxygen levels, salinity and pH . If you did not meet this criteria- this star will likely not survive. It needs an ample food source and a new or newer tank will not furnish that source which is found is a sandy or rubble type of sand with live rock. It will move over the rock searching for small micro organisms and other bits of common detritus to eat. These can go after clams, sponges, and small anemones.

Back