First tank after 10 years out of the hobby. How’s the aquascape looking?

OrlandoReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2573.jpeg
Just getting back in the hobby and was curious on some thoughts of my aquascape. Thanks in advanced!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
oh yeah, i’d definitely try and have a cave or two somewhere. even if not, it still looks good

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aquascaping us subjective. I assemble rocks for utilitarian purposes. This is not utilitarian at all. This is fine if you aren't running fish. There is no where to hide. With that said, you probably don't want my opinion...

OP
OP
O

OrlandoReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascaping is subjective. I assemble rocks for utilitarian purposes. This is not utilitarian at all. This is fine if you aren't running fish. There is no where to hide. With that said, you probably don't want my opinion...
I can take criticism. I added some different rock in the middle to add more caves. But I can adjust more if most people think it’s not suited with enough
IMG_2576.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree that this will not make fish happy nor comfortable... like tangs, angelfish and those types. They need places to fully get away and not be seen - like totally. The bonsai type of deals with caves and arches that humans like are not for them. IME, fish are less aggressive, better tank mates and are not as stressed if they can jet into their hideaway.

If you like the way that it looks from the front, just stack up rocks behind the structures in piles and that can give good hiding places to the fish.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would equate most scape like this to if an alien abducted your family and created a modern art exhibit where you only had a few items of furniture, not many clothes or covers, no rooms and otherwise no privacy. Sure, you can live and the aliens might think that it looks cool, but you would be much better off with doors, covers, bathrooms with doors, ect. Eventually, you would not do as well as you could.

We have seen zoox displays like this fail for other animals.

All of this said, some fish will not care and can hide in the substrate and in the tiny cracks that are there.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 10.55.54 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 10.55.54 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 24

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it!

I've always liked the dual island look. Plus I think there are plenty of little hiding spots throughout the scape especially with your last iteration.

If you are adding sand it will bring up the floor and give more hiding spots.

OP
OP
O

OrlandoReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it!

I've always liked the dual island look. Plus I think there are plenty of little hiding spots throughout the scape especially with your last iteration.

If you are adding sand it will bring up the floor and give more hiding spots.
Thank you!
I also added a little cave behind the right island after that first iteration and added sand. Tank is cycling atm!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back