First time coppersafe treatment please help

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my original post my apologies for the wrong forum - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clownmergency-velvet-brook.654163/

Long story short, ive decided to treat with coppersafe (that expired 4/20/19, read on r2r it should be fine). I believe the clowns have velvet as the dust on them is rapidly increasing. Have a 6.5gal from walmart set up with a couple ceramic rings in the filter from my DT and 5 gals of water in it. Acclimating the clowns to the emergency QT right now. Ill post some screenshots of the thread I am going off of but am planning on adding only 0.3mL of coppersafe tonight. Input and guidance would be amazing.

Earlier post:
"Nano tank (evo 13 gal) has been running for about 3 months now, 2 orange storms clowns have been doing great. I had an outbreak of dino's, that I thought was algae (never dealt with dinos), so purchased a baby (literally like an inch) yellow tang to combat what I thought was algae, as my tangs in my larger tank destroy any algae issues (was planning on rehoming the tang to my neighbor with a large tank after it did its job). A day or two with the tang in the tank I realized it was covered in white spots that I thought was ich. Brought the tang back to the LFS and a few days later noticed spots on my storm clowns. Have been treating with Rally and Kick Ich for 3 days now in the nano (I know, I know, copper, copper, copper). The reason I havent jumped on copper is because of coral in the tank and don't want to stress them even more moving them to an emergency QT.
The Rally has absolutely destroyed my dino problem, which is great. The larger of my two clowns is the one covered in dust, and the smaller one I can't really see anything on, im guessing immunity. Small one is eating fine, larger one is eating a little bit, but not a lot. They seem to be swimming fine just a little irritation noticeable in the larger one, neither swimming into the flow, neither of them flashing (strange).
This morning I could literally see dinos stringing from the larger clown, so I blasted the flow and they came off of him, however he is still covered in "dust". I doubled the dose of rally today with my fingers crossed.

Current gameplan is to keep dosing rally heavily and stick to the kick ich schedule, since they seem healthy other than the visible spots. Hoping the larger one clears up and when it's noticably healthier, I'll transfer to a QT and treat with copper. These clowns were/are fat and healthy, and want to make sure I keep stress levels as low as possible. They are still nosing each other, and doing the submissive clown twitch, leading me to believe they are beating it.

Thoughts? Input? Am I dumb for banking on Rally? I know clowns are hardy and have read through humblefish's article on velvet. I have coppersafe on hand but just don't want to make the situation worse."

Screenshot_20191009-220713_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191009-220638_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or should I treat more rapidly with the copper since it seems to be velvet?

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for blowing up my own post. Went ahead and dosed 1.5mL (0.3mLx5gals), and planning to do so in the morning as well. Shooting for a 2 day raise in copper vs 3 day due to the rapid onset and clowns are hopefully hardier. Hoping to save these guys.
20191009_225344.jpg
20191009_225336.jpg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back