OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 start with a single strain per jar.
That live phyto feast has some other additives not to mention its 4 strains of phyto in 1 product. More marketed towards end use vs culturing.
They likely mix it all up then ship it out. Their cultures are seperate.
I will definitely get a single culture of Nanno for my next batch, while I order that; any recommendations on the best place to order a starter culture from?

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the live phytofeast from reef nutrition, seen a few threads of people using that as long as it’s new and my LFS got them on this last Thursday, maybe it’s just the strongest culture fighting to survive since it’s a mix?
I didn't see in your details, how much phyto did you add to how much saltwater? When I use to make my 9wn I couldn't start with something like 10-25% phyto, usually 50%

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely get a single culture of Nanno for my next batch, while I order that; any recommendations on the best place to order a starter culture from?

Mercer of Montana on Amazon. Great quality & easy to grow. We use a glass vessel & 9 watt generic LED full spectrum grow bulb from the local hardware store. 1/2 1.019 saltwater to 1/2 phyto. Add light & air & wait 7 days.

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see in your details, how much phyto did you add to how much saltwater? When I use to make my 9wn I couldn't start with something like 10-25% phyto, usually 50%
I only added a 1/4 of the of the love phytofeast, I saw a video deven from reef dudes did and he used very little And that was the only basis I had on how much to use

But I think I will go with the Mercer seen lots of good tho gs so far about them and many of you are recommending them

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above. Use 1/2 the 16 oz bottle and mix according to directions.
Salinity you want around 1.019 and 2ml of fertlilizer to a full 64oz jar.
I run lights @ 18 hours but my lights are extremely strong.
Notice the golden color of the "phyto mix" on the top jar.
4 strains in 1 wont grow like you hope.

The bottom is tetraselmis and is a lot more dense and stays mostly in suspension vs the oceanmagik blend.

20200929_112103.jpg

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mercer of Montana on Amazon. Great quality & easy to grow. We use a glass vessel & 9 watt generic LED full spectrum grow bulb from the local hardware store. 1/2 1.019 saltwater to 1/2 phyto. Add light & air & wait 7 days.
I will order some from them and restart I have another 3 meters of these led lights, should wrap the vessel with more? I didn't want to use too much because the specific phosphate cob style LED strip I'm using puts out about 4 times more light.

Now one thing I failed to mention which I'm not sure if it's a big problem or not but the lights I'm using is 4000k, they were out of the 6000k ones at the time, think that will make a major difference?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above. Use 1/2 the 16 oz bottle and mix according to directions.
Salinity you want around 1.019 and 2ml of fertlilizer to a full 64oz jar.
I run lights @ 18 hours but my lights are extremely strong.
Notice the golden color of the "phyto mix" on the top jar.
4 strains in 1 wont grow like you hope.

The bottom is tetraselmis and is a lot more dense and stays mostly in suspension vs the oceanmagik blend.

20200929_112103.jpg
What strain is your top one?

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceanmagik. I harvested about 64 oz before it ended up crashing/growing biofilm.
Never stunk like a crash i just didnt like the floating particles. Plus it grows on the vessel walls which i didnt like.
Still really cool man! Do you think there's any issue with me running the output through carbon to reduce the smell?

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will order some from them and restart I have another 3 meters of these led lights, should wrap the vessel with more? I didn't want to use too much because the specific phosphate cob style LED strip I'm using puts out about 4 times more light.

Now one thing I failed to mention which I'm not sure if it's a big problem or not but the lights I'm using is 4000k, they were out of the 6000k ones at the time, think that will make a major difference?

I know some people have been successful with strip lights, but we have been successful with one of these bulbs for both phyto & cheato:

The bulb is pointed at the phyto vessel that sits in our refugium about 12” away. Its low energy & highly effective.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday was Day one, got the nanno phyto from Mercer of Montana, added 500ml phyto to 2.5 liters of TM 1.020 SG AND dosed 2 mL of fritz F2 part a and 2 mL of part B
27966D08-AF48-425E-86ED-6E3DD2AC110A.jpeg
I like your jar. Im thinking of adding fittings to mine. Is there another push fitting inside thats threaded to the one on the outside to hold the rigid tube in place?

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's day 8 of our culture using a glass vessel, air line & the blub referenced above. This was started with 20oz of phyto & 40oz of water (different ratio then what I mentioned above as I gave some away). I'll let this grow for 2 more days but it can give you a color target if you don't already have one. By keeping the vessel in our refugium, the temp remains constant at 79 degF. It isn't necessary, but based on what I've read & our experimentation, it will grow more consistently with a constant warmer temperature.

1604686385422.png

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back