First time dosing 2 part....

ReefCAKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just recently started to dose two part and have a question. I have been testing ALK and CA everyday since I started to try and get it dialed in. I have now adjusted down to where i am dosing 4ML soda ash and calcium chloride daily. Does this seem normal? The tank is a 32 biocube which is LPS/Softie dominated.

Here are parameters if it helps
ALK 9.5
CA 440
MG 1420
PH 8.3

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming an actual water volume of 22 gallons, 4ml per day would make up for a drop of around 0.25dkh per day. If your alk was dropping by around 1.5dkh per week prior to starting dosing, this would make perfect sense.

OP
OP
ReefCAKE

ReefCAKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I appreciate the input. I think I was just expecting to have to dose more daily that what I am. I will keep doing what i have been as it seems to be getting my chemistry stable.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem!

Here is an excellent calculator you can use.
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

It sounds like you are using Randy's Part 1 for alk.

Enter your estimated actual water volume and current Alkalinity. Pick the product you are using (Randy's Recipe 1). If you put in your desired Alk 0.1 higher than current you can see how many mL it takes to raise your tank by 0.1dkh. With 22g water volume, it takes 1.5ml to raise Alk by 0.1.

I find this very helpful and keep it as a shortcut in my web browser.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just recently started to dose two part and have a question. I have been testing ALK and CA everyday since I started to try and get it dialed in. I have now adjusted down to where i am dosing 4ML soda ash and calcium chloride daily. Does this seem normal? The tank is a 32 biocube which is LPS/Softie dominated.

Here are parameters if it helps
ALK 9.5
CA 440
MG 1420
PH 8.3

I'm also about to start my dosing journey. Seems scary

OP
OP
ReefCAKE

ReefCAKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I am using BRS two part +MAG maintenance. I have been using their calculator.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start slow, test often.

Before you start dosing you should have a good idea of how much your alkalinity drops in a day. If your tank is dropping 0.2 dkh per day you can use the linked calculator to see how much you need to add to increase dkh by 0.2. That number should be where you start your dosing at.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I am using BRS two part +MAG maintenance. I have been using their calculator.
That works, too! It should be the same. BRS two part is Randy's Recipe 1.

OP
OP
ReefCAKE

ReefCAKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the approach of testing at least every day and writing everything down in a log. I log test results and any changes in dosing I make along with dates.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start slow, test often.

Before you start dosing you should have a good idea of how much your alkalinity drops in a day. If your tank is dropping 0.2 dkh per day you can use the linked calculator to see how much you need to add to increase dkh by 0.2. That number should be where you start your dosing at.

If it drops .2 dkh per day what number do I start with? Is it after a water change?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it drops .2 dkh per day what number do I start with? Is it after a water change?
What is your actual system water volume and what do you plan on using for dosing?

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your actual system water volume and what do you plan on using for dosing?

I used a calculator I have 140g total. Im using Eshopps 2 head doser and 2 part container. Thats all I know as of now ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a calculator I have 140g total. Im using Eshopps 2 head doser and 2 part container. Thats all I know as of now ;)
Well, I can't tell you how much to dose until I know what you are dosing! :D

If you use the linked calculator, you can figure it out. The only trick is knowing that Randy's Recipe 1 for Alkalinity is the same as BRS Soda Ash. Randy's Recipe 2 for Alkalinity is the same as BRS Sodium Bicarbonate.

Recipe 1 is roughly twice as strong as Recipe 2.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can't tell you how much to dose until I know what you are dosing! :D

If you use the linked calculator, you can figure it out. The only trick is knowing that Randy's Recipe 1 for Alkalinity is the same as BRS Soda Ash. Randy's Recipe 2 for Alkalinity is the same as BRS Sodium Bicarbonate.

Recipe 1 is roughly twice as strong as Recipe 2.

I don't know what to use. I assume the BRS 2 part system right? Any suggestions?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what to use. I assume the BRS 2 part system right? Any suggestions?
I use the BRS 2 part, which uses Soda Ash for alkalinity.

If your water volume is 140g you would need to dose 20ml per day to make up for a 0.2dkh drop.

Just beware, I feel most people overestimate their water volume. For instance, my 187g aquarium actually only holds 162 gallons of water at its normal operating level. In what is likely an effort to make people feel like they are getting more than they pay for, aquarium volumes are normally listed based on outside dimensions. They don't take the thickness of the glass or the fact that you don't fill them completely full into account.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS 2 part, which uses Soda Ash for alkalinity.

If your water volume is 140g you would need to dose 20ml per day to make up for a 0.2dkh drop.

Just beware, I feel most people overestimate their water volume. For instance, my 187g aquarium actually only holds 162 gallons of water at its normal operating level. In what is likely an effort to make people feel like they are getting more than they pay for, aquarium volumes are normally listed based on outside dimensions. They don't take the thickness of the glass or the fact that you don't fill them completely full into account.

So maybe I will say 120g? How do I find out what it drops daily? Do I start to measure it after a water change? If it's recommending 20ml per day maybe I will do 10ml just to see? This is scary for me haha

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe I will say 120g? How do I find out what it drops daily? Do I start to measure it after a water change? If it's recommending 20ml per day maybe I will do 10ml just to see? This is scary for me haha
What size tank do you have, how thick is the glass, and how far from the top is it filled?

I feel the most accurate way is to take readings every 2 days without dosing anything. As long as your alk and calc don't get too low during this test it shouldn't cause problems. Do this for 6 to 8 days and divide the total drop by the number of days since your first test. This will tell you your daily consumption.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have, how thick is the glass, and how far from the top is it filled?

I feel the most accurate way is to take readings every 2 days without dosing anything. As long as your alk and calc don't get too low during this test it shouldn't cause problems. Do this for 6 to 8 days and divide the total drop by the number of days since your first test. This will tell you your daily consumption.

It’s a 120g with 1 overflow. 4’ x 2’ x 2’. I have a 220 Eschopp sump. I have about 150lbs of dry rock and 80lbs of sand. The water at the top is about 1” down

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 120g with 1 overflow. 4’ x 2’ x 2’. I have a 220 Eschopp sump. I have about 150lbs of dry rock and 80lbs of sand. The water at the top is about 1” down
Ok, the inside of your tank should hold right around 103 gallons. I couldn't find that exact sump but I'm guessing it holds around 20g of water. I would take out around 18g for the rock and sand (wild guess) and would estimate it at 105g of total water.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back