First time dosing 2 part....

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help! So around 105g we could say. Now I just need to measure over the next 8 days . You have a link to what solution I should buy?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Do I need that one if I have a 2 container system that holds the solution?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Is the concern the magnesium part? It need not be added very frequently at all.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I understand the question. Is the concern the magnesium part? It need not be added very frequently at all.

Just wondering if they had a package without the big jugs as I have a 2 part container to hold the solution.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if they had a package without the big jugs as I have a 2 part container to hold the solution.
They do. You can buy a 2-part package without containers or you can just buy each chemical separately. Lots of options.

I have separate dosing containers, but I am glad I have the containers. I use the 1 gallon jugs to mix it and store it in since my dosing containers won't hold a full gallon.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do. You can buy a 2-part package without containers or you can just buy each chemical separately. Lots of options.

I have separate dosing containers, but I am glad I have the containers. I use the 1 gallon jugs to mix it and store it in since my dosing containers won't hold a full gallon.

Ok cool thanks. I’ll start tracking it and order the stuff and I’ll come back to ya later :)

Thanks again for the help

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start slow, test often.

Before you start dosing you should have a good idea of how much your alkalinity drops in a day. If your tank is dropping 0.2 dkh per day you can use the linked calculator to see how much you need to add to increase dkh by 0.2. That number should be where you start your dosing at.

Here is what I found out. I did my best. It seems my Hanna calcium checker is way off. I got different readings each time and it’s a known issues. I don’t know why it went up on day 2 maybe my fault.

Let me know your thoughts. I ordered a coral box WiFi bundle. Returning my eshopp one.

7/1 calc 435 alk 8.9

7/2 calc 460 alk 8.624

7/3. Calc 450 alk 8.512

7/6. Calc 450 Alk 8.12

7/7. Calc 440 Alk 8.12

Day after water change

7/8. calc 470 Alk 8.62

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I found out. I did my best. It seems my Hanna calcium checker is way off. I got different readings each time and it’s a known issues. I don’t know why it went up on day 2 maybe my fault.

Let me know your thoughts. I ordered a coral box WiFi bundle. Returning my eshopp one.

7/1 calc 435 alk 8.9

7/2 calc 460 alk 8.624

7/3. Calc 450 alk 8.512

7/6. Calc 450 Alk 8.12

7/7. Calc 440 Alk 8.12

Day after water change

7/8. calc 470 Alk 8.62

The Hanna calcium checker is freakishly sensitive to calcium in the blank. Even very low levels cause errors. So it is important to use water in the test blank that has very little calcium in it. I'm not sure if that is your issue or not, but it is worth keeping in mind.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna calcium checker is freakishly sensitive to calcium in the blank. Even very low levels cause errors. So it is important to use water in the test blank that has very little calcium in it. I'm not sure if that is your issue or not, but it is worth keeping in mind.

agreed. I used RODI water

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna specifies distilled. You might just try some from the store.

I returned the Hanna. Im using the salfe one. What are my next steps to dosing? My doser is coming soon. What if I start at a very low dose and work my way up. I really dont want to over dose ;(

Thanks

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to buy https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/2-part-calcium-alkalinity-starter-package-bulk-reef-supply.html

The Coral doser I got Ill have to figure out how to dose that 0.2 dKH over the day. Did you see my total gallons?

No, but you can use this calculator and see what amount you get for Randy's Recipe #1 (BRS uses this concentration), your tank water gallons, and 0.2 dKH. Then dose that amount of alk each day. Also dose the same amount of calcium in volume. Adjust the doses up or down as needed to keep them where you want. :)

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but you can use this calculator and see what amount you get for Randy's Recipe #1 (BRS uses this concentration), your tank water gallons, and 0.2 dKH. Then dose that amount of alk each day. Also dose the same amount of calcium in volume. Adjust the doses up or down as needed to keep them where you want. :)

Great news :) Ill just make a gallon of each then just add it to my container and add as it dips right? Seems easy I guess lol
Thanks

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wonder if there is a YouTube on the calculator. Seems confusing. Can I use the brs one I have seen on the site?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there is a YouTube on the calculator. Seems confusing. Can I use the brs one I have seen on the site?

Yes, the BRS one is fine if you just use the BRS product.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news :) Ill just make a gallon of each then just add it to my container and add as it dips right? Seems easy I guess lol
Thanks

Just be sure to not mix the two parts before adding them to the aquarium. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back