First time using a CARX - also using Apex, Versa and CarbonDoser (need some help, DKH is a rising…)

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Someone shared a write up with me from here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VVDp1UOhxK1by9ofK0K83q2RyArEAEYtueOuUFy4SzI/edit). The starting point is wildly different the. What came from Geo. Here is where I am and what I am looking for help with:

Where I am-
1 bubble every 3 seconds
Reactor PH - 6.58
Affluent - 34.5
Versa - 30 mls a minute
Tank pressure started at 10, now at 7
CARX came on line last night

My DKH was 8.3 last night and it is at 9.1 right now. I want to tune this manually while setting my apex to put safety guardrails up. How should I program my Apex to do this? Shut CO2 down if DKH is above a threshold? Should I leave Versa and recirculating pump on?

I know I need to get the affluent to 25, but I started this where GEO’s instruction said (1/3 and 10psi). I am thinking I want to take my bubble count from 1 bubble every 3 seconds to 1 bubble every 6 seconds. Is that the one dial I should touch, and if I do, I have to wait 24 hours to check the affluent again? What if my DKH hits double digits?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Versa is "recirculating" between the main tank and the reactor you need to slow down the versa, say to 25mls/minute and then observe if the dKh stabilizes or keeps rising. Goal it to get it stabilized for your tank.

Once it is stabilized, then you can turn it off (or turn it up) to allow the system to move to your target dKh, and when it is on target turn the Versa to where it is pumping enough to resupply uptake.

Then, as the tank matures the use of carbonate will increase, or decrease if the lights go out, but as it changes you need to adjust the Versa to keep up with the changes.

Can't help with your meters, but wanted to help you understand what the equipment is supposed to be doing for you and how to adjust it to keep the system stable on target as best you can. The On/Off coding isn't what I use, just a reactor and a metering pump. Test a lot at first but once a month once its dialed in, more if I start to wonder whats up> :cool:

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If the Versa is "recirculating" between the main tank and the reactor you need to slow down the versa, say to 25mls/minute and then observe if the dKh stabilizes or keeps rising. Goal it to get it stabilized for your tank.

Once it is stabilized, then you can turn it off (or turn it up) to allow the system to move to your target dKh, and when it is on target turn the Versa to where it is pumping enough to resupply uptake.

Then, as the tank matures the use of carbonate will increase, or decrease if the lights go out, but as it changes you need to adjust the Versa to keep up with the changes.

Can't help with your meters, but wanted to help you understand what the equipment is supposed to be doing for you and how to adjust it to keep the system stable on target as best you can. The On/Off coding isn't what I use, just a reactor and a metering pump. Test a lot at first but once a month once its dialed in, more if I start to wonder whats up> :cool:
Thanks, the Apex stuff is secondary. More to keep me out of the ditch.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back